help please sony vaio svt131a11m

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
welshcouple1234
Explorer

help please sony vaio svt131a11m

hi all, 

i have a Sony Vaio laptop model number svt131a11m

The laptop fires up but will only show a blank black screen after I have logged in. i have looked at videos on u tube and have plugged the laptop into my TV via a cable to see if it has something to do with the screen, but the Tv still shows a blank screen. i have been told that the ram may need cleaning. I have opened up the back of the laptop and gained access to the ram area. There appears to be a slot for extra RAM to be installed but the RAM that is already there appears to be hidden. when i have researced this, i am being told that the existing RAM on this laptop is connected to the motherboard. if this is the case, if i go to the trouble of opening up the laptop completely, will I then be able to take the RAM out and would that possibly solve the problem if i clean it,

thanks for any advice in advance 

Tony

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Tony and welcome.

You say the screen is blank after you log in - is that logging into Windows? Does the Vaio screen work OK when you first start up and does Windows start to load?

If so, it looks like your hardware is OK and the problem is with the Windows software or the graphics driver.

What version of Windows are you running!

Your Intel HD Graphics are an integral part of the i3 processor and this uses system RAM as it’s memory. The basic 4GB of RAM is on the main board and cannot be removed as it is soldered in. It is possible this is faulty but this is very unlikely. The spare slot is for an optional extra 4GB of RAM.

Try booting into Safe Mode - this will ignore many drivers and the Vaio may work. In this case try to reinstall the latest Intel driver from the support page for your model here:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/laptop-pc-svt-series/svt1311m1e

You can can also try a Windows repair or, as a last resort, try a System Recovery but you would lose all your data.

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Try this Tony - it will depend on your version of Windows though:

Windows cannot start in Normal Mode
  1. Please shut down the VAIO computer.
  2. Restart the VAIO computer, and then press F8 continuously after the VAIO icon appears. ...
  3. When the Windows Advanced Options Menu dialogue box appears, please select Safe Mode, and then click Enter.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Tony and welcome.

You say the screen is blank after you log in - is that logging into Windows? Does the Vaio screen work OK when you first start up and does Windows start to load?

If so, it looks like your hardware is OK and the problem is with the Windows software or the graphics driver.

What version of Windows are you running!

Your Intel HD Graphics are an integral part of the i3 processor and this uses system RAM as it’s memory. The basic 4GB of RAM is on the main board and cannot be removed as it is soldered in. It is possible this is faulty but this is very unlikely. The spare slot is for an optional extra 4GB of RAM.

Try booting into Safe Mode - this will ignore many drivers and the Vaio may work. In this case try to reinstall the latest Intel driver from the support page for your model here:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/laptop-pc-svt-series/svt1311m1e

You can can also try a Windows repair or, as a last resort, try a System Recovery but you would lose all your data.

profile.country.GB.title
welshcouple1234
Explorer

Hi, 

thanks very much for coming back to me. sorry I havent replied earlier, i have been away for a few days.

when i switch on the laptop, after a while it asks me to log onto windows. i put in the password, it then takes a little while to accept the password. the screen then changes to a totally black screen with my pointer showing (which i can move around)

the screen just stays there as black, still with the pointer showing whic im able to move around, but nothing else happens.

its my daughters laptop and as far as i know, its running windows 8

profile.country.GB.title
welshcouple1234
Explorer

Hi, 

thanks very much for coming back to me. sorry I havent replied earlier, i have been away for a few days.

when i switch on the laptop, after a while it asks me to log onto windows. i put in the password, it then takes a little while to accept the password. the screen then changes to a totally black screen with my pointer showing (which i can move around)

the screen just stays there as black, still with the pointer showing whic im able to move around, but nothing else happens.

its my daughters laptop and as far as i know, its running windows

i have tried numerous times to get it into safeboot, but it wont go in. 

thanks for any advice you may be able to give

Tony

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Try this Tony - it will depend on your version of Windows though:

Windows cannot start in Normal Mode
  1. Please shut down the VAIO computer.
  2. Restart the VAIO computer, and then press F8 continuously after the VAIO icon appears. ...
  3. When the Windows Advanced Options Menu dialogue box appears, please select Safe Mode, and then click Enter.
profile.country.GB.title
welshcouple1234
Explorer

hi again, 

thanks for your message. i have done as you have suggested.

i now have a black screen with the words safe mode written in each corner of the screen. no icons showing at all. I have a area at bottom left hand screen saying type here to search, but  when i take the curzor there, the curzor just shows a spinning circle. what do I do next please ?

just wanted to say thanks again for your help, 

Tony

profile.country.GB.title
welshcouple1234
Explorer

hi again, 

just wanted to say thankyou very much. with your guidance, i have now mamaged to get the laptop into safe mode.

from there I reset it without loosing any files.

thanks once again for your help,

Tony

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Well Done Tony!

Glad you managed to fix it.