Join now - be part of our community!

High Definition Picture

nick_pan
Visitor

High Definition Picture

Hi guys,

Im confused over the whole advent of High Definition TV etc

Im looking to buy one of Sony's Top of the Range Desktops and pair it up with a 23inch LCD screen

However, although as ive read in the specifications, the desktop has a variety of tv outs...dv outs...vga outs...etc etc (which are what is confusing me) are any of these capable to output to a HD LCD Screen?

WIll i get an HD picture? Cause if not, am i better off just buying a regular 23inch LCD Flat Pannel which isnt HD Ready?

Secondly - 23inch LCD Screens for PCs tend to be extremely expensive..why are their TV Counterparts alot less?

Should I just be getting one of sony's 19inch lcd pc screens or go for a 23inch LCD TV and connect it up?

Thanks in advance!

Nick

17 REPLIES 17
Vas
Visitor

As far as I am aware Sony has only released one desktop with HDMI connection, which is the XL-Series. It’s more like a home entertainment unit, with PC function.

In order to get HD picture onto your TV you need a HD ready TV.

If you are in a urgent need of a PC and happy with the Vaio XL series unit, then this is the only option.

If you definitely want HD picture with more desktop like PC, then I will suggest you wait a little while (hopefully summer) for the next RC model (3xx), which will also include the Blu-Ray Drive.

Personally I will wait till summer when the RC300 series comes out.

Vas
Visitor

Secondly - 23inch LCD Screens for PCs tend to be extremely expensive..why are their TV Counterparts alot less?

I agree with you here, It was the same couple of years ago.
I am sure now can get (not Sony) 21" inch with built in tuner for less.

nick_pan
Visitor

ah excellent :slight_smile: thanks for the info cause i was about to go ahead and buy an HD LCD screen and the current RC Series

Is there any news on the new RC Series? Anything I can read about it? Dates? Prices?

The usual questions that probaly dont have answers to them but just in case

Nick

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Personally I would wait a few months, there's going to be some sweet HD stuff coming soon on the market and it's going to be high quality compared to the stuff out there now.

But if you're impatient then check it has HDMI

Vas
Visitor

Personally I would wait a few months, there's going to be some sweet HD stuff coming soon on the market and it's going to be high quality compared to the stuff out there now.

I am with you Kee-Lo, I can't wait till see the new Vaio's. But they are only going to bring the upgraded version of the RC series.

I think we have to wait at least 4 months for the L-Series

But if you're impatient then check it has HDMI

I am very dissapointed that the VA series doesn't have a HDMI.

nick_pan
Visitor

ok well im all set for the RC3 series then..

when should we be expecting the next bit of news from sony? :slight_smile:

do u 2 know if it outputs a 1080p picture? (hope ive got the terms right)

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Keep an eye out in the press, usually sites like neowin boast about them and the register will probably review it (usually Tony Smith)

nick_pan
Visitor

guys having been into sonystyle today and chatting with a guy for an hour, he said that the DV outputs on sonys desktop series at the moment are just as good as the high definition outputs except they dont include sound and considering the desktops have an optical out anyway, it wont make much difference. Furthermore, he said the picture quality of sony's top pc monitors equal that of the LCD HD tvs today anyway and have done well before the advent of the HD TV

thus i dont see much point in waiting around :slight_smile:

nick_pan
Visitor

guys what the difference in contrast ratios of a monitor?

like 1600:1 vs 700:1 etc?