Join now - be part of our community!

High Definition Picture

nick_pan
Visitor

High Definition Picture

Hi guys,

Im confused over the whole advent of High Definition TV etc

Im looking to buy one of Sony's Top of the Range Desktops and pair it up with a 23inch LCD screen

However, although as ive read in the specifications, the desktop has a variety of tv outs...dv outs...vga outs...etc etc (which are what is confusing me) are any of these capable to output to a HD LCD Screen?

WIll i get an HD picture? Cause if not, am i better off just buying a regular 23inch LCD Flat Pannel which isnt HD Ready?

Secondly - 23inch LCD Screens for PCs tend to be extremely expensive..why are their TV Counterparts alot less?

Should I just be getting one of sony's 19inch lcd pc screens or go for a 23inch LCD TV and connect it up?

Thanks in advance!

Nick

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hehe I have no idea.

Seriously though Nick - that guy's trying to get a sale, and I'd stay with the industry favourite HDMI as it will support DRM'ed content

robpaxton
Explorer

It's important when considering HD and the future availability of commercial content that you check that video cards and monitors include HDCP.

Without HDCP then most HD-DVDs / BluRay disks won't work or will display at a reduced resolution (Until someone cracks the content protection system :heart_eyes: )

This Wikipedia entry gives a basic rundown of the situation.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Rob,

Presumably, this only affects Blu-Ray and HD-DVD capable devices? Does this mean that upgrading to Blu-ray will involve not only a new drive but other display hardware as well?

:thinking:

robpaxton
Explorer

If you want to watch commercial Blu-Ray content in high definition then HDCP will be required in most cases. This would generally mean a new video card and monitor even though most existing cards and a lot of existing monitors are perfectly capable of displaying HD content.

Also it's important to remember an HDMI interface doesn't necessarily mean that the device can display HDCP protected content.

kee-lo_

You've got me all worried now Rob, my step father got this great plasma screen, it does say HD ready but does it really mean it'll handle this HDCP? I should bloody hope so though!

I think it's bad news that legitimate users are going to have to walk on eggshells to make sure they're going to be able to watch legitimate Blu Rays

robpaxton
Explorer

Good news :wink: if it says HD-Ready then it has HDCP built-in.

chris_lewis
Visitor

Im woth the waiting for a while option, You must buy an HD ready TV!! with at least 2 HDMI inputs, I like the idea of HD out from a PC but I would use the DVI for this & get your HD content from Sky / Telewest. The forthcoming PS3 is gonna do fine as a BlueRay HD player imo too.

This is my plan anyway but hooked up to a 37" LCD, all being well some good deals will be around when the time is right, November I recon :slight_smile:

C

kee-lo_

I had a look in the booklet and it's got HDCP.