Join now - be part of our community!

Home networking? Pls help clueless girlie!

MaryJane
Visitor

Home networking? Pls help clueless girlie!

I've just bought a vaio VGN A115S and I'd like to share files etc to & from my hybrid pc. What's the easiest way? What do I need? Can I connect by IEEE 1394? Do I need the same connections on either end of the cable? Ps I don't think I have a network card on my pc (not quite sure what I've got on it anymore, I 've taken it apart too many times). Any help or advice greatfully received.

3 REPLIES 3
TubSter
Visitor

if you need to share files straight from your home computer and your sony vaio...you need to buy a cross wiring cable...

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yes, flie transfer only needs a CAT5 twisted pair.
If you are connecting directly that is

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

OK - you need to make sure that your desktop computer has a network card built-in. If you look on the back of the computer then the network card should have a rectangular socket that looks like but is slightly bigger than the modem socket. You can also check in device manager to see if you have an ethernet card installed.

If you do have an ethernet socket on the desktop computer then you can correct directly to your notebook using CAT5 or CAT6 UTP Crossover patch cable. There are several suitable cables at http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=39&ShopGroupID=40&Alt=Yes&Network%20C...

You should then be able to use the XP Network wizard to set up the two computers to allow file sharing etc.