Join now - be part of our community!

Hope this isn't stupid.

KimIvory
Visitor

Hope this isn't stupid.

I have a Vaio FS115B. It has a C drive and a D drive. Why is this?
Everything gets stored to the C drive, and it's nearly full up, but the D drive is practically empty. How do I get things to store to the D drive instead. I've moved all my pictures to D, but any new ones still automtically go onto C and Ihave to move them over. What is the D drive for? I hope someone can help. :thinking:

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
Assegai
Visitor

Your 😧 drive is what's called a "partition". Physically it's all on the same disk, there's just an imaginary line drawn that divides everything up into two. The idea behind partitions is that your data and applications become easier to manage (like what you're attempting to do with your pictures). The good news is that partitions can be removed and managed, just do all your searching and learning on the word partition and decide if you want to go down that road. There will be ways for each of your applications to write to your 😧 drive aswell, it's just a case of working out how to set defaults for each app'.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi KimIvory,

welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

There are benefits to be gained in having a partitioned drive..

For example if you store your personal data, pictures, etc. on the D drive and a problem occurs with the operating system, the C drive can just be recovered, by following this guide, therefore hopefully, leaving your personal files on the D drive intact.. :wink:

You can move the my documents folder to the D drive by following this guide ..

KimIvory
Visitor

Thank you both, the mists are clearing! :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome KimIvory, post back if you require further help.. :slight_smile: