Join now - be part of our community!

How long does a notebook work without turning it off?????

SAUSI66
Visitor

How long does a notebook work without turning it off?????

Hi,

I got this question which bothers me since yesterday, when I had a discussion with a friend of mine, on how long a notbook should be running before it gets any damage.

Now his idea was to use the notbook and then turn it off as quickly as possible. Mine is that it should be no problem if I leave it on for one or two days. I think that it should be enough when the display turns off and the notebook works in the backround.

Does anybody have an idea on how long a notebook should be running? Or does anybody know how long a notebook would work if you didn't turn it off?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
William
Visitor

Hi,

You have posted two opposing views :smileygrin:

IMHO the HDD and the rest of the system is put under the most strain when you first power up the laptop. The HDD gets up to speed etc etc....

When you are up and running it stays that way until you power down. But, all the while your laptop is on heat is generated and any internal fans will be working to dissipate this heat.

I guess if you didn't use your laptop it may never wear out. I would use it and enjoy, taking a middle of the road approach. ie if you are not going to use it for a few hours hibernate or turn it off.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

My friend ran his laptop for 2 weeks solid, still works today

zina
Visitor

i have a couple pf friends of mine that hardly ever turn them off!

but they are not vaio's:smileygrin: