Join now - be part of our community!

HOW TO GET 1080P WORKING ON A VISTA LAPTOP

eaglesrest
Visitor

HOW TO GET 1080P WORKING ON A VISTA LAPTOP

Ok folks after much pain and suffering I've managed to get 1080P output on my Vista Home Premium AR21S laptop.

If anyone is interested in the solution (it's quite indepth) please post here and I'll draft something.

Finally I can watch HD content on a HD TV without the poxy interlace jerky images.

21 REPLIES 21
eaglesrest
Visitor

Hi There,

Using a Vaio AR31S (GeForce Go 7600 GT) and displaying through Sony Bravia KDL 40x2000 (fully 1080p capable) through HDMI, installed the updated drivers as described checked that the release is now 158.43, but still have no 1080p options in the Nvidia control panel and the highest refresh rate I can select is still only 30Hz. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

Yep, that config should work. Did you uninstall the old drivers from control panel or device manager? It should have been device manager.

It defaults to 1080p when restarting but you would need to set the resolution in Display Settings - Advanced - List Modes. If you don't have it listed then it's an 'order of install' issue. I did have the beta drivers installed without 1080p being made available one time, but that was fixed when I did the steps in exact order as described. If you can't see the modes then do the following, and this is going to be a bit time-consuming,

- uninstall the 158.43 drivers from control panel. Reboot.
- Install the Sony NVIDIA drivers from the Vaio Update website. Reboot
- uninstall drivers using device manager. reboot
- Install beta drivers from NVIDIA. Reboot. should now default to 1080p

Keep the HDMI cable connected and your TV on the whole time. You will need to look at the laptop screen between some steps.

There is a small possiblity of an incompatiblity on AR31S but I doubt it.

rupidoo
Visitor

Eaglesrest, you're a rock star! Finally got my 1080p laptop & 1080p TV displaying in......... 1080p !!! Had to faff about because everytime I uninstalled a version of the Nvidia drivers, windows seemed to install another older version before I could prevent it! Got there in the end though!

Thanks again!

Rupidoo.

eaglesrest
Visitor

Eaglesrest, you're a rock star!  Finally got my 1080p laptop & 1080p TV displaying in......... 1080p !!!  Had to faff about because everytime I uninstalled a version of the Nvidia drivers, windows seemed to install another older version before I could prevent it!  Got there in the end though!

Thanks again!

Rupidoo.

He He! It's a real 'Hallelujah!' moment when it works isn't it!

I'll update the guide to advise that hardware Update is set to Always Ask instead of Auto - I'm assuming that is what you did to stop Windows auto-installing the drivers?

neos11
Visitor

The above mentioned driver is not working on AR21M..

eaglesrest
Visitor

The above mentioned driver is not working on AR21M..

That is because you have a Geforce Go 7600, and not 7600 GT. I will update the inf to include the 7600, however I haven't tested it with that card.

Should work fine though :wink:

Edit: inf attached should work with these cards:

NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 (ARXXM series)
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 GT (ARXXS series)
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 GTL

Please report success/failure.

inked
Visitor

Thanks for this, so much better. :slight_smile:

davicol
Visitor

Hi
I've tried but doesn't work for me, the driver setup tell me that I've not a right hardware
I've a VAIO XL302 with an nvidia 7600 GTL. Actually I'm using the 158.18 drivers pakage and I cant see the 1080p (only 1080i).

Another problem is: NO AUDIO any suggest ?

thanks
Davide

eaglesrest
Visitor

Sorry GTL is not supported currently. Just 7600 and 7600 GT. I'll look into GTL support later in the day.

Edit: Try this inf. I have no way of testing it or determining that even if you can install the drivers your card will support 1080P. Let me know if it works or not so I can pull the inf file if not.

eaglesrest
Visitor

Hi
I've tried but doesn't work for me, the driver setup tell me that I've not a right hardware
I've a VAIO XL302 with an nvidia 7600 GTL. Actually I'm using the 158.18 drivers pakage and I cant see the 1080p (only 1080i).

Another problem is: NO AUDIO any suggest ?

thanks
Davide

Try this inf. I have no way of testing it or determining that even if you can install the drivers your card will support 1080P. Let me know if it works or not so I can pull the inf file if not.

davicol
Visitor

Hi
Sorry for delay
I've tryed your file, now the installation start successfully but the driver setup toolbar is very quick and the final window inform me that the system is not modified.

Davide