Join now - be part of our community!

I killed it [:((]

hjb
Visitor

I killed it [:((]

One second of stupidity which I'll have a long long time to regret. Brushed my hair & then walked into the living room & touched the mouse... and wham! static electricity discharged right into the Vaio which is now dead as a dodo.

So, anyone been here? Got any tips?

Specifically, will I be able to recover the data on the HDD or is that gone to laptop heaven? And what's the chances of getting the laptop working again?

I'm out of warranty & not in Europe so I'll probably look at trying to get it fixed at the local computer place - they tend to say "we can do anything" until they fail which is why I'm looking for ideas.

Or do I just take this as a strong hint to upgrade to a fancy new model? [which I don't mind financially but it'll be a royal PITA to get it to me in Ukraine]

Thanks to anyone with ideas! I'm busy making vows to back up more frequently & ground myself more often if by some miracle I can get out of this mess :slight_frown: :cry:

8 REPLIES 8
dinozjnrvaio
Visitor

Ops man :s that was really bad luck BUT my opinion is to sent it in your local service of Sony cause maybe they will know more for the specific service. Logical will not have to cost u much because they will have to change a fuse. But I wish u good luck and cu soon back with ur vaio :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Getting the data from the hard disk shouldn't be difficult and you should be able to put it in a new enclosure

hjb
Visitor

Thanks, it's good to know that my data probably isn't gone as well. The hardware is replaceable, the data is not.

Looks like I'll be upgrading sooner than I'd planned though.

kee-lo_

What confuses me is how did the static get from you when the mouse is plastic?

Jay1
Visitor

shit how is tht possible and i am a electronic engineer and still lost on how the mouse got a static shock.

chip might of went but some1 need to check it out. i

and the hdd should be fine as menetioned already

kee-lo_

shit how is tht possible and i am a electronic engineer and still lost on how the mouse got a static shock. 

I know, I thought I was going crazy when I read that
A major "huh?" moment

hjb
Visitor

The mouse has a switch for different 'resolutions' & I think that's metal. I'm also an engineer & I wouldn't have believed it possible... but I felt the shock & the laptop went dead so I'm now a believer :smileyrolling_eyes: Metal seemingly lurks where you least expect it.

Thanks for all the replies - I've already replaced the laptop with a brand new TX2 (and yes, I got the extended warranty!) Now I just have to get an IDE converter to be able to get the data off the old HDD since I don't want to open up the new TX2.

I guess my major lessons learned are:
1. Shit happens when you least expect it (i.e. metal + mouse)
2. Back up frequently
3. Extended warranties are a lot of money... until you need one when they're a lot less than a new laptop

The TX2 comes with a trial version of Norton Ghost which sounds like it's a good backup software for onto DVDs - I'll be trying it out this weekend.

kee-lo_

You could get an enclosure box for it?

I hate that feeling of electricity running through me, it used to happen on escailators in shops....