Join now - be part of our community!

possibly hdd crash?

redmercury2006
Visitor

possibly hdd crash?

hey there... first time in this board here, so a big hello to everyone!

i'm afraid, i killed my hdd last day... after pushing my power off button, windows was shutting down (suspend to disk i guess...)... just in this moment i dropped the laptop and it felt... now it won't start again...

smart reports an error at the start up...

currently i'm running HDD Regenerator v.1.51 for diagnose... and this little tool just found several bad sectors (some already recovered)

anyway. i guess my hdd broke... what would the repair (exchange of hdd, i guess) probably cost? maybe i'd use the chance to upgrade my ram and hdd...

(using FS-315E... bought it 5 months ago -.-)

bye and please help me ;D

flo aka redmercury2006

6 REPLIES 6
Kris1990
Visitor

welcome to CV.

is you laptop still under warranty?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi flo and welcome to Club Vaio.

If the utility you are using can recover or mark bad sectors as unusable then a replacement hard disk may not be necessary, depending in the extent of the damage of course.

Warranty will not cover a replacement HD under these circumstances, but if you have household contents insurance that includes accidental damage then you may very well be covered.

If you send the machine to Sony for repair I would estimate that you will be looking at a bill of over £300, but that is a wild guess. A local repairer would probably charge between £100 and £150, depending on the size of disk.

As far as upgrading memory is concerned have a look at Crucial.com, they are very helpful and competitive on price – install it yourself as Sony will charge you two arms and a leg!

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
redmercury2006
Visitor

well, i will try this with our insurance...

hm... thx a lot... i guess that £300 are too much for me...

well, i'll wait until this nice little tool will show me a result of its repair... maybe it will help.

anyway... how in god's name can i boot from the repair partition?

redmercury2006

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Press F10 at bootup

redmercury2006
Visitor

yep... i tried to do a complete restore... but unfortunately my notebook told me that he (yes, it's mal i guess...) is not able to read from the image...

f***... what should i do now? a new hdd? although i do not have a windows xp cd...

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Do you have recovery DVDs? If so then buying/fitting a new hard disk is all is needed.