Join now - be part of our community!

I shouldn't been forced to pay again for Windows 7

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
migonza21
New

I shouldn't been forced to pay again for Windows 7

Hello,

Please, could someone explain to me why I have to pay again for a copy of Windows 7?

I am planning to buy a new VAIO laptop, I am able to choose many options but I am not allowed to choose not to have an operating system, SONY wants me to pay again when I already have a licenced copy.

What is going on with SONY? Do they have a share on Microsoft? Why do they want their clients to pay extra for not reason? This is not a good customer relationship.

I do not understand this and I really would like someone to give me a reasonable answer.

As I say, I already have a licenced version of Windows 7, 64 bits in this case.

Tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

As an addition to Blencogo's post above..

What is going on with SONY? Do they have a share on Microsoft? Why do  they want their clients to pay extra for not reason? This is not a good  customer relationship.

If you check around other major PC manufactures I'm sure you'll see that Sony are not the only company not selling naked laptops..

Another reason why manufactures sell laptops, etc with a pre-installed OS is that they have tested & checked that all the components work correctly with the supplied OS, drivers & utilities & they also offer a guarantee & free support. Most manufactures will not support you if you install your own OS & subsequently have stability and performance issues later..

I guess the majority of laptop owners who purchase laptops just want to boot up their new toy & get going rather than spend hours installing an OS, drivers, etc..

But as Blencogo mentioned if you want an official reason then speak to Sony direct..:smileywink:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I suggest you speak to Sony as this is a user forum.

I can guess that they will say that they consider their Vaio product to be both hardware and software - the OEM OS being an integral part of their product.

They choose not to sell a Vaio without an OS - you, of course, have the choice to buy or not.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

As an addition to Blencogo's post above..

What is going on with SONY? Do they have a share on Microsoft? Why do  they want their clients to pay extra for not reason? This is not a good  customer relationship.

If you check around other major PC manufactures I'm sure you'll see that Sony are not the only company not selling naked laptops..

Another reason why manufactures sell laptops, etc with a pre-installed OS is that they have tested & checked that all the components work correctly with the supplied OS, drivers & utilities & they also offer a guarantee & free support. Most manufactures will not support you if you install your own OS & subsequently have stability and performance issues later..

I guess the majority of laptop owners who purchase laptops just want to boot up their new toy & get going rather than spend hours installing an OS, drivers, etc..

But as Blencogo mentioned if you want an official reason then speak to Sony direct..:smileywink:

migonza21
New

Speaking to SONY is the first thing I tried although it wasn't easy  to find an email, it seemed like they didn't want emails from customers.

I have been buying SONY products for more than 20  years, I am a very satisfied customer that always come back because of  their attention to their customers but I think this is an abuse, it is unfair

As you say, I have the option to buy or not and that  is what I did last Saturday at the SONY Centre at Bromley (Kent). I went  to the store with the clear idea of buying a magnificent laptop and  when I hear I could not let out the OS, I then decided not to buy. Now I am look for an alternative.

Still,  I would like to hear from you guys, SONY's customers, what do you have  to say about this. Would you be happy on paying for a software that you  already have and for which you already paid before?

Honestly, I would like to hear from you guys, I would  like to know your thoughts. Please do not take this as a rampage from a  unsatisfied customer, I would really like to hear your opinion.

Thank you very much in advance for your reply.

Miguel.

migonza21
New

Thalamus,

I thought of that possibility and I believe it is a undestandable reason. Still, I also believe they should allow opting out for the OS. They could offer it as an option by default but ultimately allow the buyer to make the final desicion.

I will also be happy for opting out of OS related issues when contacting their customer support.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate.

Miguel.