Join now - be part of our community!

Install Windows 7, anyone?

desaputra
Visitor

Install Windows 7, anyone?

I've just installed Windows 7 Beta into my VAIO-SZ4MN/B, and it's perfectly worked after 1st update (NVIDIA driver)... then run all sony drivers from recovery disk. Much faster than Vista.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi desaputra.

Thank you for letting us know.

It would be great if you would update us after you have been using it for a while.

It certainly looks like more of a winner at this stage - depends on the cost!

:thinking:

desaputra
Visitor

yap... it's very nice and wonderful interface... but in beta version lots of 3rd party software seems to be some error in installation, even microsoft claim that it will back compatible even with Win2000, XP & Vista. Still waiting for new update, they fixed NVIDIA Graphic driver about 2weeks...

Here is I think as my favourite :

lots more later...

slide29000
Visitor

Hi desaputra,

Me I have a vgn-sz5mn/b

Where do you download the windows 7 beta ?

Cordialy.

babanetcom
Visitor

i'm sorry but win7 was available for download until yesterday;

btw, I installed 7 on my sz4mn/b and it works well after the first automatic update, that grab the nvidia driver; but I have problems with webcam and microphone, how could you have them working desaputra?

profile.country.en_GB.title
micdonal
Visitor

babanetcom,
if you download the original drivers for your pc from Sony you can direct windows to the downloaded folder and install the drivers for your camera at least, maybe the microphone too.
I have been using W7 for 3 weeks now. Everything seems fine. It's very stable on the whole, but explorer.exe can crash sometimes, then recover back to where it was.

wheresmybeaver
Visitor

Hey guys, if you're running Windows 7 on a SZ then you need to download most of the drivers and utilities from the VAIO support page individually, in the Vista section. Don't use a recovery disc. You do not need drivers or utilities for WLAN, Bluetooth, or the video or audio drivers, as these are included automatically with Windows 7. In my case (SZ3VP), I also needed the original XP drivers for chipset, webcam etc that can be downloaded in an all-in-one bundle from VAIO support. Direct the device manager to this folder to install unknown devices.

Don't use the Sony-provided drivers for the fingerprint reader or the supplied Protector Suite software, as UPEK have official (and working) Windows 7 fingerprint software available here.

Be very careful which antivirus you run, as many cause a BSOD at the moment. I personnaly recommend the free Avira antivirus.

And finally, for the volume Fn keys to work, you'll need to disable UAC in Windows 7. You'll then find that desktop gadgets don't show anymore, but there's a fix for that here.

After all that, I am running a perfect Windows 7 SZ for the last 2 months. Battery life is improved, standby, hibernate and resume is much faster, and boot time is way better. Besides all that, Windows 7 has some wicked little improvements that make things way smarter and easier.