Join now - be part of our community!

Installing XP on brand new VGN-C2S

greenstuff
Visitor

Installing XP on brand new VGN-C2S

Hi. I just bought my wife a VGN-C2S and after just two days am loathing the day Vista was finally released. Bug after bug after bug has meant I REALLY want to put XP on there. Anyone got any ideas how to get XP drivers etc. for it?

Thanks,

Steve

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Steve and welcome to Club Vaio.

A lot of people don't like the changes Vista brings but we all have to face that Microsoft will wind down support for XP. I think they will stop selling any new licenses in about a year. We are going to have to accept Vista sometime!

The other thing to consider is that you will lose any support from Sony for your System and will have to reinstall Vista if you ever have to make a warranty claim. Sony will not support XP on this Vaio and so they will not be releasing any XP drivers.

Also to consider - the preinstalled software applications will probably not work with XP and they are not downloadable. You will lose these and have to buy new software.

Anyway - that's the official response. Microsoft will probably continue some sort of support for XP until 2013 and as long as you make at least two sets of Recovery Discs (so you can reinstall Vista when you are ready or you need to invoke the guarantee)then if you feel strongly about installing XP, give it a go.

You will need to use the Preinstalled XP Utilities and Drivers for the VGN-C1S as they will be the closest you will get. Remember you will need to install KB888111 to get sound working in XP. You will also need to keep your old Bluetooth drivers because the C1 didn't have this installed.

:wink:

greenstuff
Visitor

Hi Blencogo.

Many thanks for your reply. I'll download the drivers etc, although I may stick with Vista for the time being. It's mainly the ultra-flakey Windows Mail that is causing problems (and the fact that Live Messenger doesn't work with Vista!) so I'm going to install Office 2003 plus SP4 and see if Outlook is any better.

The KB article you refer to, is that MS or Sony? Also, apologies if this is answered anywhere else but how do I keep the Bluetooth driver if I do downgrade to XP?

Many thanks,

Steve