Join now - be part of our community!

Internet connection not working after vista install

sterobinson
Visitor

Internet connection not working after vista install

Posted in a thread elsewhere but have added it here incase anyone has any thoughts. thanks.

1. In my right-hand task bar it shows 2 computers when my mouse goes over it, it says "Currently connected to network:local and internet".
2. When I ping, sat www.bbc.co.uk it says " ping request could not find request. could not find host.
3. Open internet explorer - tries to open home pae but nothing.
4. In nework & sharing center it shows full green line between Laptop-Network-Internet.
5. I click on new network setting, set up to connect to internet say " you are already connected".
6. Select connect anyway. Only one option connect broadband PPOE.
7 Connection fails.
8. Open up outlook to chack mail. says not connected.
In Ip settings I have "get automatically" as instructed by isp.

No firewalls, even turned of windows firewall. Still no luck.

In network setings I have never dial a connection.

Router works fine with XP on other PC.

Any thoughts ?

Steve

19 REPLIES 19
sterobinson
Visitor

guys

it can wait for another day, but my vaio came with a secret secure safe on my c drive.

have i lost this facility now im on vista ?

thanks

philfree
Visitor

No you have not but it works differently than in XP. You can now choose any file or folder, right-click on it and choose "add to (new or existing) encrypted archive", it will create a new (or use an existing) .ueaf file or .uea folder. I don't really like it as it works slower than before and I can't manage to access it using sync software that I used to work with in XP. Good thing is you can now have unlimited space.

sterobinson
Visitor

No you have not but it works differently than in XP. You can now choose any file or folder, right-click on it and choose "add to (new or existing) encrypted archive", it will create a new (or use an existing) .ueaf file or .uea folder. I don't really like it as it works slower than before and I can't manage to access it using sync software that I used to work with in XP. Good thing is you can now have unlimited space.

Hi, I dont have that option when I right click on a file, etc......

Thanks

Steve

philfree
Visitor

It should have installed as part of Protector Suite QL 5.6.

Question for you sterobinson: Do you experience screen flash/artifacts midway down the screen on bootup (just before the mouse cursor appears)? If not can you tell me which version of 945GM graphics adapter driver is installed on your system?

sterobinson
Visitor

It should have installed as part of Protector Suite QL 5.6.

Question for you sterobinson: Do you experience screen flash/artifacts midway down the screen on bootup (just before the mouse cursor appears)? If not can you tell me which version of 945GM graphics adapter driver is installed on your system?

Hi Philfree

When I boot up, just before the curser, I get the bottom half of my page in black and white lines for a split second.Is this helpful ?

Steve

philfree
Visitor

Yes thanks this is exactly what I had. I could not stand it so I reinstalled...
It came from installing the graphics drivers provided by Sony apparently (installing latest Intel drivers did not help) and revertig back to the original Intel drivers that came with Vista did not work (certainly due to some files not being overwritten). I reinstalled not installing graphics drivers from the Sony package and no more black and white lines flashing.

Illuminatus
Visitor

Hi Steve,

Hope this helps.

Just a thought ... I think adsl modems should be configured PPOA not PPOE

All the best,

David.

sterobinson
Visitor

Thanks Philfree.

Not sure if I really understand what you did to overcome this...

Can you provide a step-by-step guide. If I try it myself I will screw it up !

Many thanks

Steve

RicardoBathUK
Visitor

The constant admin alerts are another frustrating component "Do you want to install" "software not MS" "Software not certified"

I agree Resonate, it wouldn't be so bad if these messages only appeared when an administrator was not logged in, but they pop up all the rime, I added my new printer last night and all I kept getting was "Do you want to continue? Log in as an administrator" Well seeing as I am the only one who uses the Vaio, I wonder why it can't recognise that I am the user installing the program!

Regarding Office 2007, what are the main differences from 203?

Cheers

Richard :smileygrin:

philfree
Visitor

Have you tried turning UAC off?

sterobinson, what I did was simply not installing Intel graphics drivers that are listed in Sony Vista Upgrade site. Vista installs its own set of drivers for the Intel GMA945 chipset and they are fine, no need to update them.

My only concern is that Windows update has one updated version and wonder if the pb will come back if I let it install. As I've just made a drive image, I will try and revert to it if it causes pb. I'll let you know.