Join now - be part of our community!

Java applications not running in internet explorer

alanf52
Visitor

Java applications not running in internet explorer

I recently got a VGN-F21S but have never been able to view websites with java applets. Java is installed and enabled but it just won't work. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing but still won't work.

Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
JonnyThunder
Visitor

You also need to make sure that Java is enabled in Internet Explorer advanced options.

Go to Tools -> Options

Click Advanced tab

Scroll down to find "Java (sun)" and check the box below it, which should read something similar to "Use JRE 1.6.0_03 for ".

What errors do you get, or what happens / doesn't happen when you browse a java enabled site?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi alanf52,

Can you try running IE7 as an administrator (right click Icon and select "Run as administrator").

If Java applets then work it is a problem with UAC, but I can offer no solution at present.

Can you confirm that Java applets work in Firefox?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
alanf52
Visitor

Thats it, when I run it as an administrator the java applets now run. Thanks a bunch.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're welcome alanf52 :slight_smile:

Let's hope that we can find a permanent solution in the near future as UAC is a nightmare at present. Maybe SP1 will solve some issues...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

If all else fails and everyone including Rich's suggestion hasn't worked then you can go to internet explorer> internet options >advanced> and reset. That will definately work as I had a simular problem with java after updating the latested version and Dreamweaver wouldn't load some of my webpages.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Nice one Tony.

I think I may have found another solution to the problem.

When you update Sun Java it does not remove the old version and this causes a conflict between UAC and IE. Have a look in Add/Remove programs and delete all but the most recent update. This will hopefully resolve the issue.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I'm sure I've replied to a similar problem before, can't find the thread now though..

Once Java Runtime Environment version 6 was uninstalled and then version 6.3 installed, the problem disappeared.. :slight_smile: