Join now - be part of our community!

k315s- why design a 3.06GHz without HTT when this chipset supports HTT

Jay1
Visitor

k315s- why design a 3.06GHz without HTT when this chipset supports HTT

First i bought a toshiba that Had the exact processor spec BUT IT HAD HYPER-TREADING (532) then i gave it back as the keypad was not working and then bought a k315s. This was the worst mistake i did as this sony is designed so poorly in terms of performance for a computer engineer user and not on looks. on top of that it was 300 pound cheaper to get the toshiba brand. The only differance was the sony screen. I can not even refund this laptop which i got from john lewis eventhough it was one day old. please let me know your views on this matter. i even phone sony to tell them why it is lacking performance and all they said is that you need to send laptop to them for a check up.

24 REPLIES 24
TygerTyger
Visitor

That's not quite how HTT works I don't think. At any rate with any processor you can do several things at once, they will just run slower than if you were doing only one thing at once, HTT will not affect this. If you find when you do something in the background that your main task slows down, then if you open up Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and right click on a program you can select it's priority. Be careful with this as you can crash your computer and while it works very well indeed with some things it works terribly with others.

For example I sometimes leave Windows Media Encoder converting a video into WMV in the background while I do something else. It slows things down terribly. However if I change Media Encoders priority to 'Below Normal' then everything else is bumped up to run at normal speed again while Media Encoder becomes a proper background task. And bizarrely it doesn't even slow down.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Another thing about HT is you need to have a suitable HT-enabled: processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system and applications before HT will work... If not then HT will not function.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

HT is really only worthwhile with video editing.
While the first process is processing the frames the second process is doing thr audio.

On the RA104 a 30min clip encoded for DVD 9 takes around 40mins

feederfan
Visitor

I can see why you are annoyed though, but I dont miss hyperthreading one bit, and I mean, come on, who really needs more than 2Ghz these days, unless you are doing serious 3D visual rendering or DVD video editing it is totally unecessary. For me the screen itself was worth the extra, I am a webdesigner, and a screen that is as vivid and bright as the sony one is worth any money!

kee-lo_

As a designer you need a lot of space too, lots of resolutions to test the sites in.

I use HT for video editing more than anything.

Jay1
Visitor

well i think there is a better screen then this now which is the toshiba qosmio thats what i have been told much much brighter then these sony ones. But this also means more battery power.

http://www.qosmio.co.uk/_pdfs/qosmio-screen.pdf

look at this site if you are into laptops. it has its own indepentent graphics engine and i think not shore but it also has a DSP dadicated the the graphics. but dont know how good it is on the whole.

kee-lo_

Looks nice, but I would have to test before buying.

Jay1
Visitor

and the top model has 2 HDD giving 120GB and also they run at a faster RPM then other laptops on the HDD

kee-lo_

:cool: How did they fit 2?

Jay1
Visitor

well it is a 17 inch wide screen so i think it has enough space. i think but not shore they are onin the same place as other laptop but just another slot next to it for the other hard drive this link has the full spec for the laptop

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/selected_product_option.jsp?service=UK&PRO...