Join now - be part of our community!

laptop not detecting wireless connection

DrBatman
Visitor

laptop not detecting wireless connection

Hi there,
I have had trouble with my VGN-FE11S detecting and connecting to wireless networks. My girlfriend's laptop (acer) can detect and connect to these networks no problem. I've tried disabling the firewall and tried both the 2.4 and 5 ghz settings. Does anyone have any idea as to why this laptop can detect networks and my own can't?

many thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
Sebby
Visitor

What wireless adaptor do you have? I assume it's different from your girlfriend's? Check VAIO Update for a newer driver. Failing that, check the manufacturer's website. I have an FS215S with an Intel 2200BG adaptor. I had major trouble at first until I updated the driver.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Maybe you're hading the SSID and your girlfriend set it up manually?

DrBatman
Visitor

I know I'm at risk of sounding stupid here but I don't know how to check to see what adaptor I'm using. Just the built in w/lan thing. Would that be where I'm going wrong?

My girlfriend's network is an open network and she hasn't manually entered an ssid or configured wep. This has me stumped :cry:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Have you tried the home network wizard?

marky106
Visitor

I had the same problem and so did a friend who bought a vaio. In our case it turned out to be that the sliding wireless control on the front of the FE11s was set to the "off " position