Join now - be part of our community!

Memory upgrade for the PCV-RS604 (dual channel?)

djm1475
Visitor

Memory upgrade for the PCV-RS604 (dual channel?)

Hi,

Had my Vaio a while but a newbie to the forum. So apologies if this may have been covered a while ago.

Just bought a pair of 512 DDR400 DIMMS for my Vaio PCV-RS604. I have stuck them in slots 1 and 2 and the original 2 x 256 DIMMS in 3 & 4. When I run PC wizard to scan my system it indicates I am running in single channel and not dual as i expected?........any one come accross this before. i am going to try switch to the 1-3 & 2-4 pairing to see if this runs them in dual channel mode. Anybody know if the PCV-RS604 runs in 1-3 & 2-4 pairs. The original 512mb was installed as 2 x 256 in sockets 1 and 2 which suggets not.

Whilst here anybody been able to track down any information on the motherboards to the PCV-RS604 vaios (MOBO is a P4SD-VL)?

Cheers,

Dave.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Dave and welcome to Club Vaio.

The memory slots in your RS604 are not paired - you should be able to use different modules in each slot.

However, to gain the advantages of dual channel, you may have to have ALL the modules identical. Worth trying the 1-3 2-4 configuration though - let us know what happens.

:slight_frown:

djm1475
Visitor

Many thanks for this. :slight_smile:

I tried the 1-3 and 2-4 combination and CPU-Z now reads that the memory is in dual channel. I had a strong hunch this would be the case as when you search ASUS motherboards all of the P4 types have the 1-3 and 2-4 configuration.

I then thought although the motherboard in my Vaio (P4SD-VL) was not listed and being manufactured by ASUS for Sony that it was unlikley this would not have changed (diffenet components but motherboard architecture would still be the same?).
As you mentioned filling all 4 slots with identical memory would also have worked.

So seems that they are paired in this range of Vaios

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Dave.

Well you learn something every day!! Odd that your original modules were in slots 1 & 2.

Anyway, glad you got it to work.

:slight_smile: