Join now - be part of our community!

Mouse/Touchpad Problems - CURSOR JUMPS!!

patrinos
Visitor

Mouse/Touchpad Problems - CURSOR JUMPS!!

Hi all,

Please help me with this issue as it is becoming extremely annoying. Sorry if this is a repost, I could not find anything relevant in the first 30 pages of this forum (SONY WEBMASTERS: maybe you could introduce this very useful "search" tool in the forums?) . I know many others have the same problem, as google informs me, but the variety of answers just complicated things more for me.

I have a VGN-A195HP (1.5 months old). I have connected an external USB Microsoft Optical Notebook Mouse (2 buttons & wheel) and the corresponding Microsoft software.

Problems:

1) Whenever I type text the cursor JUMPS :smileyshocked::smileyshocked: to random positions within the document without warning so I type in the wrong place and the text gets messed up. I think (not really sure) that this happens only when the external mouse is connected. It is something like the touchpad is activated while I'm typing and moves the cursor to the place I left it when I started typing. But I am not touching it!!

2) Since i installed the external mouse my Alps touchpad has dissappeared both from Device Manager under Mouses as well as from the control panel "mouse" tab. Only the external mouse is shown in both places. The touchpad however still works even with or without the external mouse connected. And as far as I have tested it, it does not give the jumping thing.

System details:

System is virus-free (just completed the scan with latest NAV definitions) and running SP2, Windowblinds & DesktopX). I have not installed the SP2 bios update (or any other update) for my notebook because I read here that it can cause all kinds of problems.

Thanks for your help,

KD.

3 REPLIES 3
William
Visitor

I would suspect that the installation of the mouse software is causing the problem.

The mouse would have worked fine without the software.

If you have the option try removing the software with add/remove programs.

Assuming your touchpad software reappears you can then disable the touchpad if not required.

William

patrinos
Visitor

Thanks William. I had already tried uninstalling the software from control panel > add/remove programs as well as the "USB mouse" entry in device manager. I was left with a weird "ps/2 compatible mouse" entry in the device manager that I had not deleted (probably came up sometime when I plugged the mouse to another usb port).

Now I deleted the "ps/2" entry as well, rebooted and guess what ... the touchpad is back again both as icon in the taskbar and as "Alps Pointing Device for VAIO" in device manager!

Nice. I will now connect the USB mouse without its software and test the typing again. You are right it wouldn't need the software anyway.

Let see how it behaves...

patrinos
Visitor

Yeap! Problem solved! :smileygrin:

Microsoft mouse software caused the problem. I suspect that since the touchpad was working but did not appear anywhere in the device manager (because the USB mouse replaced it), it was somehow activating itself.

Thanks!