Join now - be part of our community!

My CD drive doesnt work anymore

Akanksha
Visitor

My CD drive doesnt work anymore

Ok, so I have a PCV-V1. The CD/DVD drive has stopped working for some reason.
I last remember playing a CD yesterday and I took it out of the slot this afternoon. But on re-attempting to play another Audio CD it doesnt work. Here is what I have tried to far:

1. Tried numerous different CDs/DVDs, none of them work.
2. Uninstalled and re-installed the driver. Device Manager shows that the device is working properly.
3. Tried different softwares to see if it works on one them. it doesnt.
4. Checked for driver updates on e-support. None there.

And I am running out of ideas. Any suggestions on what could have happened?
The only things I can think of is that I took the CD off whilst the computer was going on standby, I know it sounds stupid, but may be its somehow related to the fact that it couldnt shut down the device properly or something. Also I notice that when I re-start the computer, the lights on the CD-thing doesnt come on, even on POST. But I can from the computer say eject and it ejectst the CD.
I am getting frustrated, I need to try the new Kelly Clarkson album. URGH.

55 REPLIES 55
Akanksha
Visitor

And I have to say that I just realised that this bugger automatic update tells me that it has updated something.
Which has probably caused it?
But this thing doesnt even read the Sony recovery disk. I have an inkling that it may be something to do with the lens? Right, now that I can drive, I off to buying a Head cleaner, another $20 going down the drain, but at least I can strike off another thing from my troubleshooting list.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Akanksha,

This is a real long stab in the dark but here goes...

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Choose Restore my computer to an earlier time.

Pick a date from about one week ago and it will do its thing. After restarting your PC it should have removed the dodgy update that affected your CD/DVD drive...

Hopefully it will start working again after this is done.

Good luck.:smileygood_luck:

Akanksha
Visitor

I did actually restore it back to yesterday, hoping that it'd work but it doesnt. I will try a week earlier. Contacting the live support here in the USA, I have no idea what they will be able to do for me, probably nothing is what my expectation will be.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

The only other solution is a very messy one...

1. Backup your hard disk partitions (C and D normally).

2. Restore your computer to factory default.

3. Install each update including Service Pack 2 :devil: until you find the one that stops your CD/DVD from working at all.

4. Remove the faulty update.

I don't blame you if this is NOT an option, it is certainly not attractive, but I bet Sony will ask you to restore your computer from the DVD Disk or Partition before they can do anything...

Their updates need to be tested before they post them, this is beyond a joke!!!

Akanksha
Visitor

James you are up at like 4.30 at night. :tongue:
Ok, I contacted the sony US support they tried troubleshooting over the internet chatroom, didnt work.
I got the CD cleaner, the drive doesnt recognise it in it, and then I took a chance and just put the VAIO recovery disk in while booting, nothing happens. It doesnt feel anything in it.

Me thinks, the drive has gone, Needs replacement. Whats funny is what could have caused this, I mean there is nothing very apparent except that I tried forcing the CD out this afternoon while the system was going on Stand By, I had known that the CD-drive was so vulnerable, I would have been more careful.

Bugger its out of warranty but guess that wouldnt have helped coz I am not in the UK. Turning it in tomorrow or on Friday to get an instant replacement or alike. I did take a backup few days ago coz I had lost all my 894 e0mails on hotmail and as a precautionary measure I did this but I guess now I just need another one on my memory stick may be!

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Maybe you must reinstall the Firmware of the drive.

Akanksha
Visitor

By that you mean driver? or is it something obvious which I am missing here>?:smileyconfused:

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Lol Akanksha went out on one of then wild student parties, as you do and got very drunk... I decided to wait up until I felt more sobre!:smileylaugh:

Anyway onto your problem. Look on VAIO-Link for the firmware updates (if any) and try applying those.

Otherwise in Device Manager, click the CD/DVD Drive Entry and pick Uninstall. Reboot your computer and test the CD/DVD drive.

If nothing works then the drive is buggered beyond all hope (foobar).:smileysad:

Akanksha
Visitor

lol James, Wednesday night! Ahhh I miss being a student, only five more months and then the normalacy will resume! :tongue:

I think the drive has gone, I tried what you suggested. No luck.

*scoffs* I am looking for replacements to this machine, it'll be a laptop this time and not a Sony, oh no!