Join now - be part of our community!

My CD drive doesnt work anymore

Akanksha
Visitor

My CD drive doesnt work anymore

Ok, so I have a PCV-V1. The CD/DVD drive has stopped working for some reason.
I last remember playing a CD yesterday and I took it out of the slot this afternoon. But on re-attempting to play another Audio CD it doesnt work. Here is what I have tried to far:

1. Tried numerous different CDs/DVDs, none of them work.
2. Uninstalled and re-installed the driver. Device Manager shows that the device is working properly.
3. Tried different softwares to see if it works on one them. it doesnt.
4. Checked for driver updates on e-support. None there.

And I am running out of ideas. Any suggestions on what could have happened?
The only things I can think of is that I took the CD off whilst the computer was going on standby, I know it sounds stupid, but may be its somehow related to the fact that it couldnt shut down the device properly or something. Also I notice that when I re-start the computer, the lights on the CD-thing doesnt come on, even on POST. But I can from the computer say eject and it ejectst the CD.
I am getting frustrated, I need to try the new Kelly Clarkson album. URGH.

55 REPLIES 55
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

ROFL Yeah, being a student does have its perks!:smileylaugh: :tongue:

Awwe sorry to hear its dead. Pity you will be getting something non-Sony this time, but you will probably have more luck!:smileywink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Scratching my head here.
Did you have a recovery partition on that machine?
I wonder if a cable has come loose when you opened it?

Akanksha
Visitor

How do you mean? If I did pull the wire off, I shouldn't be seeing the internal light (orange coloured) as soon as I insert something in it right? And then I shouldn't be able to eject it from using the drag and drop CD software right?
Also when I insert the CD in, the mouse goes into reading CD mode, but I can tell from the sound it makes that as I insert a CD into a drive, it goes loads and goes round and round(look at the terminology I am using), my CD drive is not doing that.

You think I should open it myself? And see whats really going on inside or pay for a sony authorised centre to do it for me?

James: Its actually a Matshuita, so a non-sony anyway!

OH. BTW I just remembered that yesterday while shutting down, an Ending programme thing came up, and all the letters were in mandarin or it could have possibly been Japanese. Is that possible, messed up driver? :thinking:

kee-lo_

Ignore that then, if the lights coming on and Windows sees it....

Any idea what updates it tried to install?

Akanksha
Visitor

There is no update available, apparently everything is up to date.
But anyway, I think I will try something different this afternoon when I go home for lunch, apparently the CD drive should be ejected when attempting updates so I am going to uninstall it, eject the CD drive, shut down and start again and then use the new driver I have downloaded to update it.

BTW, I can see that there is a dual layer firmware update for 750 thing on their US support site, nothing similar on the UK support. Athough it may be all so irrelevant to think of!

kee-lo_

Europe are behind with the updates byu the looks of things.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

James: Its actually a Matshuita, so a non-sony anyway!

Agh, well than Matsush*ta strikes again!

Yeah by the sounds of it a buggered driver could be causing the problems. Have you tried opening Device manager, opening the properties page for the CD/DVD, and tried rolling back the driver to the last successful driver?

LOL It could well be Japanese, because of Sony being Japanese and all (lol I am such a genius! :laughing: :smileytongue:)

kee-lo_

Damn matshita

Akanksha
Visitor

There was no roll-back driver, there has only ever been ONE driver ahem! :tongue:

And I vaguely remember that the windows update was Malicious virus removal, which I asked it not to download but then all of a sudden it came up saying that it had installed it for me, how very efficient!

I am getting increasingly sure that its a driver thing, a. because the hardware cannot go off just like that right?
b. because that ending programme thing, said something in Japanese, saying that it wasnt responding. So what could have happened is that when I was putting the system on stand-by, it was doing something with the CD drive, and I just ejected the drive, which caused the drive to hang and then when later on in the evening I tried to play a CD, the drive was still hanging. And then I tried shutting it down, the Ending programme thing tells me that the computer forced the drive to shut down and now it doesnt come up again.
So this is the diagnosis, I dont know what the solution might be! Incurable cancer may be?
:smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Lol yeah incurable cancer!

Looks like the only solution is to try reinstalling Windows XP, but this is impossible without a functioning drive.

Have you got an external CD Drive?