Join now - be part of our community!

My CD drive doesnt work anymore

Akanksha
Visitor

My CD drive doesnt work anymore

Ok, so I have a PCV-V1. The CD/DVD drive has stopped working for some reason.
I last remember playing a CD yesterday and I took it out of the slot this afternoon. But on re-attempting to play another Audio CD it doesnt work. Here is what I have tried to far:

1. Tried numerous different CDs/DVDs, none of them work.
2. Uninstalled and re-installed the driver. Device Manager shows that the device is working properly.
3. Tried different softwares to see if it works on one them. it doesnt.
4. Checked for driver updates on e-support. None there.

And I am running out of ideas. Any suggestions on what could have happened?
The only things I can think of is that I took the CD off whilst the computer was going on standby, I know it sounds stupid, but may be its somehow related to the fact that it couldnt shut down the device properly or something. Also I notice that when I re-start the computer, the lights on the CD-thing doesnt come on, even on POST. But I can from the computer say eject and it ejectst the CD.
I am getting frustrated, I need to try the new Kelly Clarkson album. URGH.

55 REPLIES 55
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Yah.

Ugh pity you don't have an external CDRW drive - they are not that expensive at the mo either.

Well you could try doing a USB Floppy Disk boot but many Sony PC's will fart and burp at this, (i.e. refuse to work)...

Akanksha
Visitor

Ok, I am first taking the back up and the CD-drive is taking like a billion years to do that, like my WHOLE lunch hour and its still on 45% of the the first disc, when it has to create three.

And second, I would have restarted to see whats the deal with DOS but my ever so slow external CD_writer is stopping me, you see? :tongue:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

What speed does that thing work at?

Akanksha
Visitor

Ok, well last night, I tried the following:
1. Pressed F8 during booting and it didnt give me an option of booting from the CD. Although the drive was uninstalled in windows.

I spoke to this technician at the Sony Repair centre and from what it seems, the drive has most likely gone hardware wise.

So, I am thinking the following (rate them on a scale of 1 to 10):

1. Keep this machine and buy a Dell laptop - because
a. Dell is cheap and reliable
b. I won't get a good price for this machine now with a broken CD drive and all that.
c. Besides its localisation is UK/Europe.

2. Sell this machine and buy a MAC - because
a. MAC is good looking.
b. There might be a desperate person looking for a PCV-V1 without a CD-drive?
c. And ironically he'd looking for one from the UK?

3. Buy an external CD-drive, I am looking at this
because
a. The drive looks hot.
b. I cannot afford any more computers.
c. And my permanent localisation is undecided for at least a couple of years from now.
:thinking:

HITS-UK
Visitor

Out of nothing more than idle curiosity, what make/model drive is it? Could it be the Matshita (with the emphasis on the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th letters of its name)?

If so, please let me know as I am about to get arsey with Sony about these drives!:smileywink:

Akanksha
Visitor

Undoubtedly. Spot on.

FONTSIZE: (infinity) STYLE: BOLDEST

yes emphasize on the 4th,5th,6,th and 7th

kee-lo_

Akanksha the problem might arise when you want to make a recovery though, BUT, you can copy the disks to the hard disk so it's no major issue.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Out of nothing more than idle curiosity, what make/model drive is it? Could it be the Matshita (with the emphasis on the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th letters of its name)?

HITS-UK: more than 50% of drive problems on this forum involve the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th letters of the manufactures name - I am another victim:smileysad:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

Rich

Which comp did this happen on?
Damn MATSHITA

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

GR114SK - just out of warrantee :cry:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat