Join now - be part of our community!

My CD drive doesnt work anymore

Akanksha
Visitor

My CD drive doesnt work anymore

Ok, so I have a PCV-V1. The CD/DVD drive has stopped working for some reason.
I last remember playing a CD yesterday and I took it out of the slot this afternoon. But on re-attempting to play another Audio CD it doesnt work. Here is what I have tried to far:

1. Tried numerous different CDs/DVDs, none of them work.
2. Uninstalled and re-installed the driver. Device Manager shows that the device is working properly.
3. Tried different softwares to see if it works on one them. it doesnt.
4. Checked for driver updates on e-support. None there.

And I am running out of ideas. Any suggestions on what could have happened?
The only things I can think of is that I took the CD off whilst the computer was going on standby, I know it sounds stupid, but may be its somehow related to the fact that it couldnt shut down the device properly or something. Also I notice that when I re-start the computer, the lights on the CD-thing doesnt come on, even on POST. But I can from the computer say eject and it ejectst the CD.
I am getting frustrated, I need to try the new Kelly Clarkson album. URGH.

55 REPLIES 55
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Was it mashita by any chance?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

No prizes for that ¿ you have guessed correctly!!

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Akanksha
Visitor

Rich, its funny mine computer has just gotten off warranty too.

black kettle *rolls eye*

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Akanksha, mine actually came out of warranty a year or so back and within a month of that date the Matshita drive refused to read or write CD¿s. The daft thing is it is still quite happy reading DVD¿s. I now rely on a USB DVD burner to prepare any disks that I may need to access when mobile. Good fun eh ¿..:smileycry:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

Your CD laser has died then...
cr4p really

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Only one laser in the drive, as far as I can tell, Kee-Lo, and it still reads DVD¿s. I gave up on the problem months ago¿.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Akanksha
Visitor

I think Sony is satisfied with Matshita's CD-burner working for a little more than a year, so as soon as the computers go out of warranty, Sony is not liable for them anymore. ANd whats more they make money by replacing these.

No really, or else how do you explain such strategically timed catastrophes?

Even worse I feel musically deprived, I can't listen to any CDs. :tongue:

kee-lo_

Poor you.
Hate being musically deprived!

I do agree with what you said though, does seem they're doing this

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Yeah oh so convenient my PC starts acting odd when it is rapidly approaching the end of its warranty.
*rolls eyes*

QSI are no better than MatSHITa, because my drive randomly refuses to play certain select music CD's. It burns to CD ok, reads mostly any other CD and all DVD's.

Odd, eh?:smileylaugh: :tongue:

And like KL, I hate being musically deprived, last week when I forgot my Network Walkman it was like sonic confinement - I couldn't wait to get back home to get it!:smileytongue:

Akanksha
Visitor

If I were you, I'd just claim it doesnt work while its in warranty. *cough* :tongue: