Join now - be part of our community!

My new Card Reader software doesn't fit the motherboard!!!

Sabi
Visitor

My new Card Reader software doesn't fit the motherboard!!!

Hi everyone;

I¿ve purchased a USB2.0 12 in 1 Card Reader from Direct USB Store on line. However it came with mini CD software which does not fit my motherboard CD/DVD drawer!

I just want to know this before I order another! Do all Card Readers come with mini disk software?
And if I try the mini disk software in the motherboard will I damage it?

Thanks for your help

Sabi!sad.gif|___jive_emoticon_name=sad|jivemacro=emoticon|class=jive_macro jive_emote|src=sad.gif!

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

There should be a small indentation in the centre of the CD drawer that is just the right size for your mini CD. If there is then you can use the CD.

If the indentation isn't there for some reason then you will have to get a friend to copy the mini CD to a CD-R for you.

Sabi
Visitor

Thanks Rob;

I just looked at the drives, they don't have indentations! 😞

Unfortunately I don't have anyone who has a computers to copy the mini disk for me!
Do you know (by any chance) which Card Reader comes with a normal size CD software?

I hope I can exchange the CR to something else or at least get my money back....

Sabi:smileycry:

robpaxton
Explorer

It's really strange that your drive can't read a mini CD. All the drives I've seen have a place in the centre of the drawer for these.

The card reader that I bought from http://www.crucial.com/uk has a standard size CD but they don't sell the same model anymore. Your best bet is to telephone and explain that you need a full size CD for the drivers.

You will have to contact Direct USB and explain your problem to them. I would expect them to accept the old reader back. But before you do that, have you checked the manufacturers website to see if the drivers are available to download?

I've just had a thought. If you're running Windows XP then you probably don't need to install any drivers anyway.

kee-lo_

That's odd, my RA104 has these indents.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

My very old internal CDROM drive (LG) and my new DVD burner have these slots because the 8cm format is quite popular.

LOL its been six years since I last used my very old CDROM with a caddy loading system... Wonder if the caddy's still exist...

kee-lo_

Yeah I think those indents are handy.
Those type of disks used to be used in Freecom music players.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

The 8cm disks are still used, I have the Freecom 32A CDRW drive, and inside was an advert for Freecom Beatman which uses 8cm disks.

Sabi
Visitor

Hi Rob;

I wonder if you could shed some light on the new problem I am having.

I¿ve e-mailed the company for my Card Reader regarding the mini disk software.

They said I didn¿t have to use the mini disk as I have Window XP :slight_smile:
Anyway when I connected the CR to USB Port, this message came up:

Hi- Speed USB Device attached to non Hi-Speed Hub!
There are no Hi-Speed USB host controllers installed on this computer.

Intel[`r] 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller ¿ 2442
USB Root Hub [2 ports]
USB Mass Storage Device
GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem
Intel [`r] 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller ¿ 2444
USB Root Hub [2 Ports]
Unused Port
Unused Port

Does this mean I can not view pics from my memory stick and memory cards? :cry:

Sabi :cry:

robpaxton
Explorer

Your card reader/writer will still work. All the message is telling you is that the card reader is a high speed USB2 device and the port you have plugged it into is the slower USB1.

Don't worry too much about the message - it only means the reader/writer will access the cards at a slower rate.