Join now - be part of our community!

Noisy K415B

simonp
Visitor

Noisy K415B

Hi,

I've had my PCG-K415B just over a week now and am finding it very noisy - mainly from the fans which presumably are for the processor. Is this normal? I've spoken to Sony support and they suggested I reinstall the utilities, which I've done, but this has made no difference.

I understand that this model, with a desktop processor, is likely to get fairly warm but I didn't expect it to have the fan on all the time.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Simon

21 REPLIES 21
Jay1
Visitor

if you went the fan to be less noisy then go to control panel and power option and change the cpu performance to low ie battery mode. if u dont need performance.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

if you went the fan to be less noisy then go to control panel and power option and change the cpu performance to low ie battery mode. if  u dont need performance.

That wouldn't solve the problem. The CPU runs with 3,06GHz all the time.:smileysad:

GBS
Visitor

Looks like the Celeron D has no speedstep, which is a shame. Probably should not use this processor in a laptop (Sony).

I guess your fans sound like mine (K115Z) when I am doing video work - pretty loud. The highest temperature I have had has been 68 degrees and that was only for a very short time of intensive work.

Have fun

simonp
Visitor

Yeah I've played with the power settings a bit and it's made no difference.

I've decided I'm going to send it back and get the FS215E instead...I was tempted to get it originally but the extra power of the K415B won we over. However the extra noise of the K415B has won me back the other way! Can anyone vouch for the quiet running of the 215E??

TygerTyger
Visitor

Well it's has a mobile processor so with any luck that should make the difference, but I don't think any Sony laptop runs especially quiet. If you do buy an FS series, be very careful with the latch because lots of people have had it break on them.

Reinstall the utilities? What the bloody hell kind of suggestion is that? It reminds me too much of that flash movie I posted.

"My computer is not working."
"Do do you like ice cream?"

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Actually guys the utilities control the thermal system in the VAIO, so it's actually a good idea to check that first, but that should have been one part of the advice, not the complete solution.

See MrSonyHotShot, I praise where it's due dude!

TygerTyger
Visitor

Oops I thought it meant utilities in the general sense, not Utilities with a capital U.

TygerTyger ceasing whining NOW. :smileygrin:

kee-lo_

Don't get it TT

hldomster
Visitor

KL, who was this MrSonyHotShot??

Do you have the thread?

kee-lo_

LOL Dom, he doesn't exist on this forum, Hits-UK told me someone said in Sony HQ that he felt this board had too many whingers