Join now - be part of our community!

Norton Internet Security 2004 on a PCG-K315M

magnumopus
Visitor

Norton Internet Security 2004 on a PCG-K315M

I purchased a Sony Vaio PCG-K315M last week and am blown away by its quality, especially the display. However I have one question that someone can maybe advise me on regarding the Norton Internet Security 2004 software installed on it.

I use the same package on my home PC and when I installed it, I selected not to have parental control installed on it as I don¿t need it. This in turn reduces considerably the size and number of updates that need applying via Live Update. Although you can turn this parental control off it still downloads all the changes/additions to this part of the program even though they¿re not used, hope that makes sense. Is there anyway to remove it and install it again from the recovery DVD¿s but deselect the parental control part (like my home PC) from being installed.

The second question. Baring in mind that after 90 days I¿d need to upgrade to the full version, would I be better off buying NIS 2005 which currently is being sold by many retailers for £24.99 about half of the normal price and then removing NIS 2004 and installing NIS 2005 as it¿s such a good price?

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

I use the same package on my home PC and when I installed it, I selected not to have parental control installed on it as I don¿t need it. This in turn reduces considerably the size and number of updates that need applying via Live Update. Although you can turn this parental control off it still downloads all the changes/additions to this part of the program even though they¿re not used, hope that makes sense. Is there anyway to remove it and install it again from the recovery DVD¿s but deselect the parental control part (like my home PC) from being installed.

1. Apparently NIS can be a difficult cookie to manage here... Be careful as only a full System Recovery works (I think...)

The second question. Baring in mind that after 90 days I¿d need to upgrade to the full version, would I be better off buying NIS 2005 which currently is being sold by many retailers for £24.99 about half of the normal price and then removing NIS 2004 and installing NIS 2005 as it¿s such a good price?

2. I would personally get the full version of NIS 2005 so it would eliminate the upgrade problems... £24.99 is a good price - its selling at that in PCWorld I think. If you are a student, you could get the student licence for about the same price...

moogybase
Visitor

I'm thinking the same thing too......the online renewal of subscriptions with Norton is such a rip off! Because they're in Ireland, 21% VAT is added to the already fairly high prices.

SO!

2 questions:

1)Does anyone know if NIS 2005 can just be installed straight over the pre-installed 90day subscription version of NIS?
Or should you uninstall the existing one first?

and

2).....if you buy a boxed full version, is there no need to do annual renewal of the subscription?

cheers

TygerTyger
Visitor

You should uninstall first. I think with Norton the updates are free for a year, then you pay the subscription.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You're best getting the latest version

I have noticed that there's a Ghost / NIS package for £30 here so in theory you get Ghost for £5

magnumopus
Visitor

You should uninstall first. I think with Norton the updates are free for a year, then you pay the subscription.

Allthough it should be possible to install over the top I've always been advised to remove the old version of NIS first, touch wood doing it this way I've never had any problems.

You are indeed correct on the one year included subscription which is followed by an annual subscription fee. I often find that when a new version comes out there's a lot of good offers around which are sometimes cheaper than renewing a subscription with Symantec. I had exactly this happen when I wanted to renew my subscription of NIS 2003, it work out cheaper to buy the complete new version. I get the feeling some retailers use these as loss leaders to get people into their stores. Which is fine by me. :slight_smile:

kee-lo_

Same thing happened to me with NAV

Psaila
Visitor

I get the feeling some retailers use these as loss leaders to get people into their stores. Which is fine by me. 

I think Its A very Good thing to buy on this occasion .

It would also make A FINE XMAS Gift .:smileygood_luck:

kee-lo_

Aye it does.

moogybase
Visitor

I saw a £25 offer in PC World the other day on Norton, but i have a feeling it's not for Internet Security - just for AV 2005.

Their website has it at £45 or thereabouts i think ...unable to access the page for some wierd reason right now!

And the Amazon offer....that's strangely low! Maybe it's just for the upgrade version.