Join now - be part of our community!

Norton Internet Security 2004 on a PCG-K315M

magnumopus
Visitor

Norton Internet Security 2004 on a PCG-K315M

I purchased a Sony Vaio PCG-K315M last week and am blown away by its quality, especially the display. However I have one question that someone can maybe advise me on regarding the Norton Internet Security 2004 software installed on it.

I use the same package on my home PC and when I installed it, I selected not to have parental control installed on it as I don¿t need it. This in turn reduces considerably the size and number of updates that need applying via Live Update. Although you can turn this parental control off it still downloads all the changes/additions to this part of the program even though they¿re not used, hope that makes sense. Is there anyway to remove it and install it again from the recovery DVD¿s but deselect the parental control part (like my home PC) from being installed.

The second question. Baring in mind that after 90 days I¿d need to upgrade to the full version, would I be better off buying NIS 2005 which currently is being sold by many retailers for £24.99 about half of the normal price and then removing NIS 2004 and installing NIS 2005 as it¿s such a good price?

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The PC World one is for AV only

magnumopus
Visitor

OK folks, just to clear up the pricing mystery of NIS 2005 in PC World and other DSG stores Curry's and Dixons. I did some checking and it's £24.99 when you buy it with a PC, normally £49.99 on it's own. I went back today and got it for £24.99 as I only bought my laptop last week, it should only really be done at the time of sale but I'm very good at winning people round. :smileygrin:

One thing I will say is that it's good Sony include NIS as part of the standard software, esspecially for people who may not have had a computer before, about time internet security was taken seriously rather than just chuck as many usless titles on it to look more attractive to the buyer. Although saying that I'm pleased with most of the software that comes as standard, MS Word would have been nice but Works does the job OK.

kee-lo_

Yeah it's really nice to see people are finally taking security seriously. Ignorance of security is causing more viruses and spreading of Spyware.

magnumopus
Visitor

Just in case anyone is following this, I uninstalled all the Norton Entries in Add/Remove programs, rebooted and installed NIS 2005 flawlessly and got all the updates for it. Also minus the Parental Control Stuff that needs tons of updating and somthing I personally have no need for, no kids, hence I can afford nice toys like this laptop. :slight_smile:

kee-lo_

:cool:

TygerTyger
Visitor

Parental Controls are good for stopping your girlfriend from checking out your more exotic bookmarks. Or so I heard.

kee-lo_

:laughing: :laughing:

Woody27
Visitor

Parental Controls are good for stopping your girlfriend from checking out your more exotic bookmarks. Or so I heard.

Maybe the should call it 'Partner Controls' ?!?

LOL :laughing: :laughing:

CW

kee-lo_

Hahaha