Join now - be part of our community!

Norton prevents javascript links to open. Solution?

Yoshi71
Visitor

Norton prevents javascript links to open. Solution?

Hi all

I gather that Norton is not popular and I'm beginning to understand why. :devil: I have Norton Internet Security 2006 but it prevents most javascript hyperlinks to work. I have tried the suggested work around from Norton support (i.e. put it back in learning mode) but that only works for a couple of clicks. Also downloaded the latest version of Java, but still not joy.

Short of forgetting about Norton altogether, anybody got any suggestion on how to solve this?

Cheers,

Yosh

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Yosh and welcome to the forum.

I know that you will not want to hear this, BUT as many of the forum users, including myself, have long since ditched Norton a solution to your problem may be long coming.

I hope that you receive some fruitful suggestions from other members, but otherwise try AVG (for free) as your anti virus and either Sygate (now owned by symantec I’m afraid) or better still ZoneAlarm for the firewall. Both are free and equal to, or better than, the product you are currently using...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Seawit
Visitor

Despite the similarity in names, Java and JavaScript are two separate entities. Java is a language designed by Sun Microsystems. Java scripts are precompiled into a compact form and stored on the server's side of the connection.

Anyway...

Besides the suggestion made by Rich, you can also try to use AVAST as your main antivirus program. It is stronger than AVG and it provides further protection regarding some sectors that AVG doesn't cover.

As for a software firewall, unfortunately i don't know any that it isn't busted or corrupted after a few weeks. The Internet is infested with bots that have the sole purpose of screw them down. It would be advisable to use instead, along with a antivirus, a good antispyware program. I personally use a combination of three. Windows Defender for realtime protection and Spybot plus Adware for cleaning all that Windows Defender still lets to get in the computer. This has been working for quite some time now without the slightest problem so far. And i can assure you that i've done a lot of testing. !happy.gif|___jive_emoticon_name=happy|jivemacro=emoticon|class=jive_macro jive_emote|src=happy.gif!

EDIT: I almost forgot one thing. Ditch Norton. It uses a lot of resources and it isn't safe. It also can generate conflicts with some software. Use the [

EDIT: I almost forgot one thing. Ditch Norton. It uses a lot of resources and it isn't safe. It also can generate conflicts with some software. Use the [url=http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039" target="_blank">Norton Removal Tool | http://Despite the similarity in names, Java and JavaScript are two separate entities. Java is a language designed by Sun Microsystems. Java scripts are precompiled into a compact form and stored on the server's side of the connection.

Besides the suggestion made by Rich, you can also try to use AVAST as your main antivirus program. It is stronger than AVG and it provides further protection regarding some sectors that AVG doesn't cover.

As for a software firewall, unfortunately i don't know any that it isn't busted or corrupted after a few weeks. The Internet is infested with bots that have the sole purpose of screw them down. It would be advisable to use instead, along with a antivirus, a good antispyware program. I personally use a combination of three. Windows Defender for realtime protection and Spybot plus Adware for cleaning all that Windows Defender still lets to get in the computer. This has been working for quite some time now without the slightest problem so far. And i can assure you that i've done a lot of testing.

Yoshi71
Visitor

Thanks Rich and Seawit for your suggestions. I've got personal bad memories of ZoneAlarm (It wasn't compatible with my ISP and when I uninstalled it from my previous PC, it took away all Internet related software... ) I'll see if anybody else has other suggestions in the meantime. Failing that, I'll ditch Norton.

Thanks again.

Yosh