Join now - be part of our community!

Not a recognised Vaio

A-lastair-M
Visitor

Not a recognised Vaio

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio VGC-V2M.

When I try and run Vaio Recovery or DVgate it says "This computer is not recognised as a Sony Vaio. This Program only runs on a Sony Vaio." Something along those lines.

I do have a Sony Vaio and have not made any modifications apart from Sony did repair the screen.

Anyway I can fix it? I read a while ago in another thread to run C:\Utils\Utils.exe. This DID work, but when I went back to do some video editing in Adobe Premier it totally screwed up. All the clips I had edited were cut-strange and not in the right order. Not that I mean the edied clips were just in the wrong place on the timeline, I mean that the edited clips were not the same and not the parts I needed. They were from the same clip but not the right part.

Any ideas? I did a system restore to get the video back and that worked. The sound on my PC wasn't working again but I think I've sorted that now. If I run that program again it will mess up my video, I've already tried it.

Backing the video files up may work but it's kinda spread out and it prob won't work, it'll keep saying "Where is.... (file name)" and then put it strange lol knowing my luck. There might be an easy way to solve this.

Vaio support have not been helpful with the generic answer of recovering the whole PC back to factory settings so I come to you guys. Just wondering if there's any way to sort this prob out.

Search has not yielded any solutions.

Many thanks. Greatly appreciated.

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi A-lastair-M,

This is a Sony Utility problem as you have identified.

Try reinstalling just the Sony Shared Library either from your recovery disc or by downloading the Preinstalled Utilities from HERE

You could also reset the BIOS defaults by pressing F2 repeatedly when booting at the Vaio logo.

:wink:

A-lastair-M
Visitor

Will pressing F2 at startup do anything else to my PC? Mess anything up?

Thanks for the help.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi A-lastair-M,

No pressing F2 repeatedly at start-up will just open the BIOS.. :slight_smile:

A-lastair-M
Visitor

Reset BIOS, didn't make a difference/

Downloaded Vaio Recovery again and installed it, didn't make a difference either (did I have to uninstall?).

Only thing that worked was running the Utils.exe but that messes up all my video editing for some reason.

Please help. Cheers. :slight_frown:

A-lastair-M
Visitor

Any more ideas? I probably won't check back until after X-mas but thanks to anyone who helps (and to those who have already posted).

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Try reinstalling the Sony utilities.

I am not familiar with your model, but if you have C:\utils\utils.exe then run this. If not download the pre-installed utilities for your model from Vaio-Link and if this contains a single .exe file then run it, otherwise run each separate utility in folder order.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
A-lastair-M
Visitor

I have already done this a few times and now just tried downloading it from the site. It did enable me to use the recovery tool and other stuff, but it messed up all of my video editing in Adobe Premier 7 Standard (came on PC) and it's in a strange, hard to repair order so I had to restore my PC back. All the vids are in the My Documents\Adobe\Premiere Standard\7.0 folder but I don't know why it's making it go weird.

It must be something to do with the Utilities.exe. Can I not just uninstall Recovery/DVgate Plus (can you uninstall then re-install just Recovery?) and re-install them rather than have to install all the other stuff that is inside Utilites (what else is there?)?

Please help. Thanks.

A-lastair-M
Visitor

I got an error when I wanted to post this so had to type it again. :angry:

I tried to re-install DVgate Plus but couldn't find where to download it individually, is there anywhere you can download it on its own without running Utils.exe? I did a system restore then tried the update and it didn't change anything.

I just want to try and work around the poblem of it messing up my video editing, so preferebly without running Utils.exe but if there's a way I can stop the video from being changed that would be good. But I don't know how lol. :thinking:

Any help appreciated. Sorry to double post, but it's slipping away so no one will see it and I wanted to update. Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi A-lastair-M

Goto Start > All Programs > Vaio Recovery Tool and click on Vaio Recovery utility.

Once the Vaio Recovery utility has loaded, click the options button and select Recovery Specific Applications that were pre-installed, click OK, then Yes and Yes again.

You should see DVGate plus in the Application list, select and then click install.. :slight_smile: