Join now - be part of our community!

overheating...

andriusha_uk
Visitor

overheating...

hi vaio users,
i got a slight problem with my vaio, actually it became very annoying recently...when i use my vaio, it shuts down when i start to watch dvd or tv on it. It works faster and battery becomes very hot, after it switches off. i read an article about battery problems, taht sony is goin to replace some of them, but my battery serial no doesnt correspond with numbers listed in sony web site, so maybe it is not the battery problem...i'm planning to go to the store and buy new one, but will it solve the problem??? My vaio model is vgn-fs215z and i've got docking system with it, so maybe it is dock's promlem, not battery?! could you please suggest me anything....
many thanks

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi andriusha_uk

Welcome to Club vaio, :slight_smile:

Your Vaio may be shutting down due to overheating, you can check the temperature of your Vaio using Mobilemeter please post back the temperatures...

Also check that the air vents are not blocked with dust, etc..

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi andriusha_uk and welcome to Club Vaio.

It sounds like your processor is overheating. This is probably due to partly blocked air vents around the fan.

To confirm if it is the processor, download Mobilemeter and let us know what the CPU temperature is under load.

Hopefully it will be as simple as blowing compressed air through your cooling ducts or opening up the Vaio to remove dust.

:wink:

EDIT: Good Evening - Too quick for me Thalamus!!

:cry:

andriusha_uk
Visitor

when i switched on tv, it is going up and up, and now it's 95 C degrees .i think it's over the limit...
after i switch off dvd or tv, it becomes 80 C degrees.

andriusha_uk
Visitor

and there's no dust, cause i allways clean my notebook. About 6 month ago, i exchanged my battery to another one, before checking in internet if it suits to my computer. It's a bit more powerfull one, so maybe it's the problem???

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

WOW !

That is far too hot. Normal CPU temperature is 50 - 70 degrees. At 90 degrees your CPU will shut down to avoid damage.

It could be the battery but I still think it is more likely to be a cooling problem. Check your fans are working and I think your Vaio needs taking apart to see if there is a blockage.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi andriusha_uk,

If you fans as working, it may be worth buying some compressed air (you should be able to get this from your local PC shop), then holding the can upright give the vents a short blast from a distance of approx. 10cm if you hold the can to close you could damage the fan.

If you still do not notice any improvement then I'm afraid as Blencogo has mentioned your vaio may need to be opened in order to deep clean and remove dust etc. from the fan and cooling vents. :slight_frown: