Join now - be part of our community!

P1 & P2 function button problem

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
gyron1
Explorer

P1 & P2 function button problem

Gentlemen,

I had this problem once before and the Forum helped solve for me - I apologise but cannot locate the solution then provided.

My problem is with the P1 and P2 function buttons on my laptop. The P1 button is programmed to Mute the volume and the P2 button is programmed to Hibernate the computer.

Although correctly set up via Control Panel>Sony Notebook Setup>PI & P2 tab, neither of the buttons are operable.

I seem to remember that I was shown how to correct this problem via a registry modification.

I suspect that some registry 'cleaner' has upset the setting but maybe wrong.

Very grateful if someone is able to help or remind what the solution was, thank you. (promise to not to mislay this time).

Regards,

gyron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

My apologies, your model does indeed have a Hotkey utility.

Forget downloading as the files will be the same as your recovery disk. Run the Setup.exe from within Sony Shared Library and Hotkey Utilities in that order.

If you still have problems then try running Setup.exe from within the Sony Utilities folder.

Good luck.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

Is this the thread you refer to?

https://www.sony-europe.com/discussions/message/413186#413186

Or this one?

https://www.sony-europe.com/discussions/message/502906#502906

Rich

Message was edited by: rich912

Message was edited by: rich912

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich,

Thank you for your reply.

Firstly, the the problem I now realise I have is a general problem with all 'Hotkeys' ie the P1 & P2 buttons (volume on/off and hibernate respectively), the F7 (external screen switching) & F5 (screen brightness) etc. More on this in a minute.

Your first link  https://ww.sony-europe.com/discussions/messages/413186#413186 ulimately leads to a page written in spanish which I cannot convert into English, so I am not sure what this is.

Your second link is exactly the thread I was referring to, thank you. However, the solution provided there ie ensuring that both atiptaxx and Ati2mdxx in the startup sequence and activated, and also the Ati Hotkey Poller in the Services tab is set to 'on & automatic'.

So I am now lost! Apparantly, the previous solution you so very kindly provided does not seem to work this time.

Do you have any other suggestions please to get these wretched 'Hotkeys' working again?

Thank you,

gyron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

It would seem that some of the Sony utilities need reinstalling. If you could remind us of your Vaio model and operating system we can point you in the right direction.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich,

Laptop - Vaio PCG-Z1SP

Operating System - Windows XP Professional SP3

Yes, I take your point. I have the original Sony software CDs with, hopefully, all the original information on them.

I was wondering whether I needed to re-install the 'Sony Shared Library' & 'Sony Notebook Utilities'  what do you think?

Also, can I simply 'overwrite' the files I already have on the system or are there any special precautions. I cannot afford to lose any work information on the laptop.

Very much obliged for continued help Rich, thanks.

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

You are correct in your assumption that you need to re-install the 'Sony Shared Library' & 'Sony Notebook Utilities' - in that order. If you are unable to find these on your original disks they can be downloaded from here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/PCG-Z1SP/updates

Re-installing these utilities should have no affect whatsoever on any data on your notebook. That said it is always wise to keep a backup of personal data on a removable drive of some description in case of a hard drive failure...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich,

Thanks for reply.

OK I have found the 'Shared Library' and 'Hotkey Utility on my original Sony Recovery discs, so that bit is OK.

However, although I can find the 'Hotkey Utility' in C drive>Program File>Sony on my laptop, I cannot find the Sony Shared library on my C Drive - where should it be so that I know where to copy the recovery disc files?

Thank you once again,

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

Do not copy the files to any location – you need to install both by running (double click) ‘Setup.exe’ from within the relevant folder (i.e. Sonysharedlibrary and SnyUtils) from either your recovery disks or the Support download.

Are you sure you have a ‘Hotkey Utility’ as I thought your model has a SnyUtils folder.

If you are in any doubt about the correct folders then download the ‘pre-installed utilities’ from the link provided above as both of the required folders are clearly labelled within the provided Zip file.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich,

OK, I will take your advice and download from the link you provided rather than the Sony discs I have.

Yes, there is definitely a 'Hotkey Utilities' file on the Utilities disc I have.

Please bear with me, I have a family funeral I have to attend today which will take up most of day, so it may be tomorrow I respond back with results of download.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

My apologies, your model does indeed have a Hotkey utility.

Forget downloading as the files will be the same as your recovery disk. Run the Setup.exe from within Sony Shared Library and Hotkey Utilities in that order.

If you still have problems then try running Setup.exe from within the Sony Utilities folder.

Good luck.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat