Join now - be part of our community!

paint completely chipped off volume key

alphabetitis
Visitor

paint completely chipped off volume key

hey guys. I bought a FE21M at the beginning of August off the internet. A few weeks later the 'delete' key fell off and wouldnt reattach. I called up Sony and they sent me out a new one (which took 3 weeks to arrive), but all was fine and dandy.

Then a couple of weeks later I was using my notebook and it started emitting this horrid screeching sound every couple of minutes. It was reallly high pitched and hurt my ears. I was gonna call Sony again but it was too late and by the next day it had stopped, so I didnt bother. It hasnt done it again.

Anyhow! to the point. I pressed the - volume key today and the paint COMPLETELY chipped away and stuck to my hand. Its now the see through plastic key. Im gonna call Sony tomorrow but I was wondering what would happen. With the key falling off it was simple enough to just send one out but the volume key is part of the actual laptop. So I was wondering if they can fix it or what, and if they'll see it as damage caused by myself.

Thanks !!!

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi alphabetitis and welcome to Club Vaio.

I'm afraid these special keys can only be replaced by sending your Vaio to Vaio-Link for repair.

As you are still within the warranty period, contact Vaio-Link for the next step. If they try to say it is 'fair wear and tear' or 'your fault' don't accept that and politely ask to speak to a Supervisor. This should not happen after 3 years let alone 3 months!

:wink:

Dragonstyle
Visitor

i've got a vgn fe 11m and the color comes off by touching the key as well. It comes more and mor of now :cry:
Please write an comment if there is somebody who got experience with repair and if it is covered by warranty?
Thanks for your time.
Tha whole fe series is disapointing anyway :slight_frown:
My battery is loose and the screen got some darker spots in the corners on the bottom :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

alphabetitis
Visitor

Yeah I called up today and they've arranged for it to be taken away on Friday to FRANCE for repairs, hahah. I could hardly understand the guy on the phone, but he said something like if they classify it as damage caused by me i'll have to pay 107 pounds to get it returned. Aye right. Anyway, hopefully it'll be okay !!

Dragonstyle
Visitor

Thank you.
At least it is possible to repair a little bit expensive, :anguished:
but it's horrorble to watch.
I'm going to try to order a new button... :wink:

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

I haven't tried this myself but if you have no joy with Sony you could paint a little bit of nail lacquer onto the keys that are wearing out. This would provide a protective film over them but, like I said, I haven't tried it myself so don't know if it would work OK or not.