Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-9L1M - Lightning Strike Aftermath

tombal
Visitor

PCG-9L1M - Lightning Strike Aftermath

Newbie here...
AC adapter died. I replaced it. At boot time I got "Windows failed to start last time...". Whichever option I chose he died.
Booted 4 different XP CDs and the recovery CD. They ran but died at the point they should have done someting useful apart from load themselves. Same with the XP 6-diskette set.
Bought BootMaster and reset the MBR. Now, one time, after many boot attempts, I got "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\SYSTEM".
BootMaster can see the files on the C drive but he will only let me copy from C to A.
I have good data backup so I'd be happy if I could boot something that will let me reformat the HDD and try an XP reinstall. I have no idea what that something might be. Any thoughts? Thanks, Tom

15 REPLIES 15
frannys
Visitor

Good Luck,FDISK is not for the weak hearted,its Hardcore,when your done you will be 'Born again Hard'.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would probably buy a new hard disk and then buy a 2.5" caddy to rescue as much as possible from the old hard disk.

tombal
Visitor

I'm out in a few minutes for nine days. I'll report back here after I return.

I'm back.

F10 at power-on did not give me access to the hidden drive.
I booted an ME diskette and ran FDISK. He sees the hidden drive (30 megs out of 60!) but he won't let me delete it.
I formatted C: as FAT32. I successfully installed and ran WIN98.
I still can't run an XP CD, Home or Pro. After they load the PC dies. Same with the Sony recovery CD and the Home 6xdiskette boot set.:smileycry:

kee-lo_

That's really strange

tombal
Visitor

Closing the loop on this one, I posted the problem on the Sony site. After a couple of fruitless iterations I was told "We have identified that your unit may need to be repaired. "
It looks terminal...:smileycry:

kee-lo_

Make sure you get a quote, but seriously I think you can get a better VAIO for the money they'll charge to repair the motherboard.