Join now - be part of our community!

Power supply problems

profile.country.en_GB.title
faithx

Power supply problems

Can I pick your brains please :smileygrin:

I've had two power supplies fail on my desktop within 6 months. Getting a little pissed off now, so any general reasons that I could investigate would be cool.

Cheers guys :cool:

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Faith,

Do you have one of those houses where light bulbs don't seem to last long? Do other pieces of electrical equipment regularly go wrong?

Could be an unstable mains voltage supply and Thalamus's suggestion of a bit of surge protection (no comments from those of you with dirty minds please) may be good.

The other likely reasons have already come up - overheating or too low a supply for your PC.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Oh hang on are you talking about my desktop or my lungs 

Hahahaha either but lungs probably:smileygrin:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
faithx

Hi Faith,

Do you have one of those houses where light bulbs don't seem to last long? Do other pieces of electrical equipment regularly go wrong?

Could be an unstable mains voltage supply and Thalamus's suggestion of a bit of surge protection (no comments from those of you with dirty minds please) may be good.

The other likely reasons have already come up - overheating or too low a supply for your PC.

:thinking:

Hiya Blencogo, thanks for replying,

No I wouldn't say I have a problem with any other electrical equipment regularly, however now you have all got me thinking. My microwave packed up about a week ago, but I put that down to how ancient it was (18 years old!) And my bathroom bulb blow a couple of days ago :smileyhypnotized:

I always keep myself protected against unwanted surges :tongue: But back to computers :laughing:

Well I will go and buy another PSU tomorrow and see if I can get it working again, so how much would one of these surge devices cost?

faithx

Well I will go and buy another PSU tomorrow and see if I can get it working again, so how much would one of these surge devices cost?

Sorry, I'll stop being lazy now, I've searched and they are not that expensive - cheers guys :hugging:

kee-lo_

Faith

I suggest getting some new fans for her too, as they cost £3 they're not going to kill you to replace.

Chewie2000
Visitor

I'd seriously think about getting something over 450W... this ain't that much and will not give enough power if you a graphics card of any note (these are the main power hogs)... I would get something more substancial (will future proof you as well)... go for something by OCZ or Thermaltake 600W... should do the trick :cool:

faithx

Thanks for your replies Kee and Chewie :slight_smile:

My fans are gleaming at the moment Kee, but will keep it in mind :cool:

Chewie, that's very interesting, I went to my usual supplier today and they didn't have any 450w in stock so I got a 500w instead, took Thalamus's advice and got a surge protection extension lead aswell. So I'm up and running again :cool:

Next I need to think about getting a new monitor as I've been looking at a green one for months, as one of the guns has gone :smileyrolling_eyes:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

:cool: Glad you're up and running again, lets hope this PSU lasts.. :four_leaf_clover:

kee-lo_

Faith do you go to savastore by any chance?

faithx

Faith do you go to savastore by any chance?
No, I use RL Supplies in Watford