Join now - be part of our community!

Power supply problems

profile.country.en_GB.title
faithx

Power supply problems

Can I pick your brains please :smileygrin:

I've had two power supplies fail on my desktop within 6 months. Getting a little pissed off now, so any general reasons that I could investigate would be cool.

Cheers guys :cool:

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Faith,

Overheating comes to mind…

Do you clean the fans and cooling vents on a regular basis? Silly question really :smileygrin:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
faithx

Hi Faith,

Overheating comes to mind…

Do you clean the fans and cooling vents on a regular basis? Silly question really :smileygrin:
Thanks for your reply Rich,

I have at this very moment got my desktop in pieces on the floor, and even though I do give it a quick clean out now and again, you wouldn't believe how much crap gets clogged up in it. I've given the fan a good clean and when I start it up, it starts for a couple of seconds, but when it goes to spin up the hard drive the power cuts out.

This happened once before, and I just replaced the power supply and it was fine. Just a little annoyed that they are breaking down on me so often.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Faith,

Is your PC plugged into a anti-surge device..?

It could possibly be a faulty/damaged circuits on the motherboard..!!

Have you changed or added anything new inside your system..?

faithx

Thanks for your reply Thalamus,

No I haven't got an anti-surge device, I don't have a problem with my laptop, which is on the same plug - not sure if that would mean it's not a problem :thinking:

I didn't think it was a fault with the motherboard, as last time it happened, on replacing the power supply it was all fine again.

Haven't added anything new to the inside since I last replaced the power supply.

Sorry guys, it's all a bit vague.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Haven't added anything new to the inside since I last replaced the power supply.

Sorry guys, it's all a bit vague.

Did you add something new before your original PSU failed..?

Did you replace the PSU with a similar or higher Wattage unit..?

faithx

No I'm not that technical lol, nothing new before the original PSU failed, and I replaced with an identical 450w PSU

faithx

Another thing that has just occurred to me is the fact that the desktop is always physically plugged into the mains, so even when the desktop is switch off the mains isn't. So could this affect the life span of the PSU?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

you wouldn't believe how much crap gets clogged up in it

I would!! And the ciggies have a lot to do with it... :smileygrin:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
faithx

you wouldn't believe how much crap gets clogged up in it

I would!! And the ciggies have a lot to do with it... :smileygrin:
hahahaha, not me matey, would never smoke in the house :tongue:

Oh hang on are you talking about my desktop or my lungs :smileyd_oh: