Join now - be part of our community!

PROBLEM WITH PORT OF COMMUNICATION : COM1

boumboum29
Visitor

PROBLEM WITH PORT OF COMMUNICATION : COM1

Hi everybody,
I'v got a sony Vaio with Windows XP (version family).
For a few moment, I can't navigate on the Web, because I've got a problem with the port of communication COM1.
It can't start. I've tried many times to create another port, or modify its properties, but it doesn't work.
In French, the message returned in the box of state of the peripheric is :
Ce périphérique ne peut pas démarrer (Code 10) : this peripheric can't start (Code 10).

How can I repair my problem ?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would reinstall the utility for your modem

boumboum29
Visitor

Hello Kee-Lo,
I'vd done what you suggest.
The modem is : "Agere Systems AC97' Modem"
But, after desinstall the modem, and then reinstall, the problem of COM1 was always there : it doesn't work.

Then, I've tried another another time to reinstall COM1, and the same conclusion.
I don't know where is the the pilot of COM1, and/or COM2, on my computer.
Bad news and Mad world :cry:
A poor lonesome boy, out of the Web :smileyfrustrated:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Do you have any other Serial Devices connected to your computer - a serial mouse or a serial printer?

I know both COM1 and COM3 use the same IRQ so you could have a conflict. Have you looked in Device Manager to see if there are any errors against your modem?

Have you tried another COM port? -

1. Open Phone and Modem Options in Control Panel.
2. On the Modems tab, click the modem you want to configure, and then click Properties.
3. On the Advanced tab, click Advanced Port Settings.
(If this option is not displayed, the modem does not support changing the assigned COM port)
4. In Com Port Number, click the port number you want to use (Try 2 or 3)

Bit of a puzzle? :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

There is a possibility that you have a conflict of device usage on Com port 1. Have a look in Device Manager > Ports > Communications Port (Com 1) > Properties > Resources tab. Are any conflicts reported?

EDIT: Sorry Blencogo didn't see your post before replying....

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

At least we seem to be singing from the same hymnsheet Rich!!!!!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Any other telephony devices installed, or bluetooth?

boumboum29
Visitor

Do you have any other Serial Devices connected to your computer - a serial mouse or a serial printer?

No only the printer and the mouse used for a long moment, but nothing else then.

I know both COM1 and COM3 use the same IRQ so you could have a conflict.  Have you looked in Device Manager to see if there are any errors against your modem?

No error and no conflict on my modem. I've even desinstalled the modem, and then re-installed it. But without effect.

I've de-installed the modem, and then the ports COM1 and COM3, and after, the system signalized me that there' was a new material (the modem) on the PC, buut nothing about COM1 or COM3.

Have you tried another COM port? -

Yes, I have, and the system showed always an error

1. Open Phone and Modem Options in Control Panel.
2. On the Modems tab, click the modem you want to configure, and then click Properties.
3. On the Advanced tab, click Advanced Port Settings.
(If this option is not displayed, the modem does not support changing the assigned COM port)
4. In Com Port Number, click the port number you want to use (Try 2 or 3)

Bit of a puzzle? :thinking:

See the results before.

The stranglers sing "Always the sun"
And for me it's "Always the fog"

boumboum29
Visitor

There is a possibility that you have a conflict of device usage on Com port 1. Have a look in Device Manager > Ports > Communications Port (Com 1) > Properties > Resources tab. Are any conflicts reported?

EDIT: Sorry Blencogo didn't see your post before replying....

There are no conflict on the Resources tab for COM1

boumboum29
Visitor

Any other telephony devices installed, or bluetooth?

Nothing like this