Join now - be part of our community!

problems with display when entering windows

rude_NHS
Visitor

problems with display when entering windows

hi i'm new here and havent been through all the threads to find someone who has had the same problem, but basically, when i turn on my vaio laptop the display works fine when going through bios then goes completely dark when entering windows, but not dark enough to tell that the display is working but far to dark to work with. i have taken it inot a shop and they have treid using it with another monitor and its fine and have treid adjustng the setttings on the laptop itself and in windows but nothing has made any difference. please can someone shed some light on this even if they have only had the same problem. many thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
schouw
Visitor

I only get the screen working when I push the button next to the brightness button. The screen lights up about 10 seconds and go out again. This event happened just two weeks ago, therefor the screen flickered sometimes when I move the screen in front or away from me (adjusting the screen).
Is it called inverter module or converter or is it a sensitive cable, and what does it do and how does it looks like, what will be the price of it?????

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

James,

They still haven't sorted that screen? Damn, that sucks!

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

@Kee-Lo: Yeah good old Sony, efficent as always:smileydevil: :laughing: :tongue: Shame I was under the disillusioned opinion that they might just break a sweat (and fingernail) to fix the screen.... but no.

@schouw: Your problem seems related to a loose cable, but without looking inside your display I can't elaborate more than that.:smileysad:

Sony will repair the fault free of charge providing it is still within guarantee, otherwise Sony then charge for the most valuable part of the repair, an LCD will cost about £430+ the inverter module likely to be about £140+ however this is a VAGUE guideline at best.

If it is not under guarantee, then Sony will provide a quote for you based on how much it will cost.

This is Sony's statement for Out of Warranty Repairs.

If you wish to arrange a repair, forget e-Support, they are useless.
Ring Sony on THESE NUMBERS (just select the country you are calling from) to arrange a pick-up and return service.

Note: If you are out of warranty, Sony may charge you £12.50 for speaking to a representative, even if it is to arrange a repair. Yes it is a rip-off, so you may wish to try the useless e-Support first to make an out-of-warranty claim to save your pocket!