Join now - be part of our community!

Problems with downloading video

Audette
Visitor

Problems with downloading video

Hi,

I just bought a Sony SR50E HDD camcorder which I want to try out over the weekend. I've made some video clips which I want to download on to my VAIO S5M laptop.

When I first connect the camcorder, it finds the drivers but at the end mentions that the device may not work unless restarted. I restart and the device is visible on My computer. I try to play the video files and it gives me an unknown error. I even tried copying the files on to my hard disk before playing and still the same error.

I tried this on an HP computer and an Advent and it works fine. I can play the video clips straight from the camcorder. Also it never even asked me to restart after the driver installation phase.

Is it just 'cos of incompatibilities between Sony laptops and Sony cameras or am I doing something wrong here??

Please help.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi Audette,

Did you install the drivers before hooking up the camvcorder to the VAIO?

Audette
Visitor

No, the drivers installed itself automatically via plug and play.

Over the weekend i installed VLM player and it seems the files can be played via that software. But WMplayer, Winamp and even Sony software gives an 'unknown error'. This is quite annoying as I cant do any editing or such at the moment.

Zagster
Visitor

Hi Audette,

It appears that your camcorder uses an MPEG2 PS format to record video. Some players may not support that or you need to download a specific codec for that purpose. Have you updated WMP and your Sony software recently?

kee-lo_

Yeah I think you're right Stan, it's a codec issue

Audette
Visitor

well, I've tried updating all the software (vaio sw, wm player) but still no joy. Whats puzzling is that even the sony image mixer that came with the camcorder will not play the files.

The other computers have less codecs than what I have on mine and yet the files play without any problems at all.

I will try to download extra codecs for the mpeg 2 format and see how it goes.

kee-lo_

Could be conflict between MPEG2 codecs

Audette
Visitor

hmmmm.. I tried getting another codec pack which had a mpeg2 decoder/encoder but still no joy.

Do you think I should uninstall all the codecs I have and see?

robpaxton
Explorer

Try using Gspot to identify the codec you need. It identifies most formats.

Audette
Visitor

Hi, I tried Gspot and it says that the codecs are installed.

Now I'm really confused as to why this is not working.