Join now - be part of our community!

Program and Favorite list icons

profile.country.en_GB.title
gyron1
Explorer

Program and Favorite list icons

Hello Gents,

I might have had this little problem before but forgot what to do, sorry.

All the icons in my internet favorites list and program list (via the start menu), have lost their proper picture type format and now have 'file' or 'explorer' (in the case of favorites list) type icons.

Don't know what caused this change but how can I correct situation please.

Thank you,

Gyron

37 REPLIES 37
gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich & Thalamus,

Re previous post, forget daft question! Below is a screen shot of 'Programs' and IE list showing 'Favorite Icons', I hope!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

No screenshot unfortunately...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gyron1
Explorer

sorry, i will try again!
Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

Have you read my post 4 above this?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich,

Regarding your last posting on this thread where you ask have I read your posting, I think you are referring to the one below. Yes, I did read your posting, apologies for delayed reply but I am trying to learn how to post a screen shot. I am reading Kee-Lo's posting and will endeavour to post screen shots as requested ASAP.

With respect to your posting;

You have one folder (containing further links) and one individual icon (link) that launches the main application.

Icons that have a right pointing arrow are folders containing further links. These folders have a generic folder icon (as in the screenshot), not an identifiable program icon as with executable links.

Some programs, when installed, place both a folder and a single executable link in the ‘Start’ menu to launch the main application – this is the case with TuneUp Utilities.

OK, I understand. It would appear then that I have been wasting your time, oh dear I am so sorry. I was mislead by the incorrect icons in the 'Favorites' list and could have sworn that the icons in the Start/Programs list were also incorrect. What is incorrect is the 'Favorites' list where the majority of the icons are represented by 'e'. Hopefully you will see if I can post screen shot.

It may help if you arrange your Start Menu programs alphabetically – with this layout folders are listed first and then individual program icons (both alphabetically).

To rearrange your start menu alphabetically, right click any folder or program icon in the start -> All Programs menu and select ‘Sort by Name’.

I will do as you say as soon as I post the screen shots.

Kind regards,

yron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

I have a feeling that Kee-Lo’s post is now out of date. From memory this entailed saving the file to an online source such as Photobucket.

You can now attach files directly from your computer.

When you click ‘reply’, under ‘Options (below your text), you will see ‘I would like to attach a file’ – check the box before clicking reply.

This will eventually open a further window where you can browse to the file location. Once the file and location is listed in the dialogue box click ‘attach file’ or ‘attach another file’....

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I am reading Kee-Lo's posting and will endeavour to post screen shots as requested ASAP.

Does this guide that I posted some time ago help.. :thinking:

Press the print screen button to capture the screen shot.

NOTE: PrtScn captures an image of the entire current screen but ALT + PrtScn captures an image of the current active window only..

Open Adobe Photoshop Elements (or similar graphics application), select start from scratch.

Once Adobe Photoshop elements opens click OK on the new window.

Click File (in the top left corner), them move the mouse to New, then click on Image from Clipboard

Click File (in the top left corner), then click on Save As.

A new window will open, rename the file to something you'll remember and change the format to Jpeg.

Then click on save.

In the Club Vaio forum type your reply in the thread and then click the box next to I would like to attach a file.

Click on reply to post and then in the next window click on the browse button and navigate to the file you wish to attach..

Click once on the file you wish to attach and click the attach file button.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Gyron,

The screenshot may not be necessary as I now think that I understand what the problem is – I hope...

If the custom icons have been lost from the Favourite menu this will probably be because the cache has been cleaned either by you or an application such as TuneUp.

The icons that you see in 'Favourites' are known as Favicons and will only remain in place until the IE temp files are cleared.

To check this out open IE and then open one of your ‘Favourites’ sites. This should regenerate the Favicon in the cache which will then appear in Start -. Favourites...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich & Thalamus,

Thank you both for the info on posting screen shots.

Rich, regarding the loss of 'Favourites' Icons and the saved icons known as Favicons, I did not know this, thank you. However, if I understand you correctly, opening the site should re-create the icon. Opening the Vaio site has not re-created it's icon, neither have the Symantec, BBC etc icons been re-created.

From what you have said and the fact that the icon is nt re-created, maybe there is something wrong with the cache.

I am really worried about wasting your valuable time on this, although annoying the loss of the icon does not actually detract from my laptops functionality.

Kind regards,

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Gyron,

have you tried deleting one of your favourites and creating it again.?