Join now - be part of our community!

Questions regarding music transfer & library update

constantine_jk
Visitor

Questions regarding music transfer & library update

I have the following questions:

Is it possible to update the library (e.g. genre update) and the same update to happen automatically to the appropriate album in the VP (when of course it is connected to the pc)?

If I have for example mp3 files at 192kbps and I convert them to Atrac3plus at 256kbps, do I gain anything in temrs of quality?

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
chris_lewis
Visitor

Hi, I think to update the info on the VP you have to edit in SS first then re transfer the album you have changed.

Everytime you encode a tune the quality will drop, you will also never be able to get a higher bitrate from a lower one so I would leave them in MP3.

C

profile.country.GB.title
stuadam91
New

Hi,

In my experience, any changes to the database, such as you suggest changing a genre for an album or track, are not recognised by SS and updated to the VP. It only detects newly recorded tracks that have not been transferred. I am always editing the database, so I have just got into the habit of re-formatting the VP once a month and transferring everything again. It works fine.

Converting your MP3's to ATRAC will not improve ther quality but the original CD re-ripped at ATRAC 256kbs will sound great!

constantine_jk
Visitor

Hi,

In my experience, any changes to the database, such as you suggest changing a genre for an album or track, are not recognised by SS and updated to the VP. It only detects newly recorded tracks that have not been transferred. I am always editing the database, so I have just got into the habit of re-formatting the VP once a month and transferring everything again. It works fine.

Converting your MP3's to ATRAC will not improve ther quality but the original CD re-ripped at ATRAC 256kbs will sound great!

When you re-formatting your VP, do you have to install the firmware upgrade again?

Thanks

constantine_jk
Visitor

Oh, another question...I understand that changing mp3s to Atrac3plus won't make any difference to the quality. Due to the fact though that gapless play is only available for Atrac files, if say I have a few 192kbps MP3 songs, what is the best conversion to Atrac3? For sure Atrac3plus at 256kbps will increase the file considerably withought any gains.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
stuadam91
New

[When you re-formatting your VP, do you have to install the firmware upgrade again?

No, but you do need to upload the skins again if you use them.

hldomster
Visitor

Remember lower the bit rate the longer the battery life.

HeartOfDarkness
Visitor

I would advise to keep them as is: from the source files, the 192 kbps mp3s already sustained a non-negligeable loss. Converting them to Atrac3+ 256 kbps will further degrade them. I don't mean that it will sound awful, but it will not sound "as good".

That's even truer if you convert them to an inferior Atrac3+ bit-rate.

Therefore my advice to leave them the way they are. 🙂