Join now - be part of our community!

RAM Expansion VPCEH2N1E

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
TheOldHobbit
Visitor

RAM Expansion VPCEH2N1E

Hi, my VAIO is presently running 4gb of RAM.  I beleive this unit can be expanded to a maximum of 6gb and wondered if anyone can tell me what type of ram and how many slots??  Is it DDR3 or different and what size block do I need.  Can I do this myself or do I need to take it back to where I bought it.....  Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi TheOldHobbit,

Your model is shipped with one 4GB module and one empty slot. It is upgradable to 8GB by adding a single 4GB module.

From the Support specifications for your model:

Memory Size (GB) 4

Memory Type PC3-10600

Memory Specification DDR3 SDRAM

Memory Speed (MHz) 1333

Memory Composition 4 GB (SO-DIMM) x1

Max. Supported Memory 8 GB

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi TheOldHobbit,

Your model is shipped with one 4GB module and one empty slot. It is upgradable to 8GB by adding a single 4GB module.

From the Support specifications for your model:

Memory Size (GB) 4

Memory Type PC3-10600

Memory Specification DDR3 SDRAM

Memory Speed (MHz) 1333

Memory Composition 4 GB (SO-DIMM) x1

Max. Supported Memory 8 GB

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
TheOldHobbit
Visitor

Hi Rich, thank you for the information, very helpful indeed.  If I do upgrade to 8gb, am I likely to see an improved performance on my laptop.  I use it mainly for my photography, lots of graphics etc.  Thank you again.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi TheOldHobbit,

Assuming that you are presently using a large percentage of available RAM when processing graphics, the answer is almost certainly yes.

As memory is very inexpensive at present (a single 4GB module should cost no more than £20) it is certainly worth upgrading.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Voyager_2002
New

Hi Rich,

I have a similar question: I want to buy a second 4GB memory module, but since there are so many brands and options I don't know how to ensure that a memory module that I order on-line would work in my Vaio.

Relevant details:

Memory Size (GB)

Memory Type

PC3-10600

Memory Specification

DDR3 SDRAM

Memory Speed (MHz)

Memory Composition

4 GB (SO-DIMM) x 1

So when I am shopping for memory, do I need to check the number of pins, or what do I need to look for? Very few vendors seem to offer SDRAM, and when they do they say that it is for use in Apple machines! My model number is not included in those listed by Crucial and other vendors (it is a current EH series configured Vaio).

Hope you can help!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Voyager_2002,

Your Vaio will not be listed by Crucial if it is a configured model, but if you use their System Scanner it will make recommendations for compatible upgrade.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammemory.aspx

If you are still unsure then contact them by phone or email for confirmation.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Voyager_2002
New

Thanks Rich,

The problem is that I have not yet bought the computer but am still working out exactly what I need and the total I will need to spend. So I cannot scan a computer that I don't yet own!

Maybe the Old Hobbit could do a scan and tell us the answer, since his RAM specifications seem to be exactly the same as mine. Or maybe you could be kind enough to tell me the key pieces of information that I need in order to search the vendors of memory modules?

And a warning to anyone else reading this thread: I visited another memory vendor's site and it did list the model number for "my" configured Vaio, but I am pretty sure that the module it recommended was wrong (it did not use SDRAM technology, but maybe that doesn't matter?).

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Voyager_2002,

Looking at similar models (none configured) on the Crucial site the part you will need seems to be as follows:

Part Number: CT2660105

• Module Size: 4GB
  • Package: 204-pin SODIMM
  • Feature: DDR3 PC3-10600
  • Specs: DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 •      Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •
  • Cost: £16.79 inc. VAT

Please check this with the supplier by email or phone...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Voyager_2002
New

Thank you: that's great.

mydearcosmo
Visitor

Will it be possible to hold more than 8GB of RAM? What unit can carry such capacity?