Join now - be part of our community!

Recovery Disks

profile.country.en_IE.title
fiomurph
Visitor

Recovery Disks

Hi friends, Can anyone advise me to solve this problem??
Husband has a Sony PCG/Fx501 bought secondhand, has been working fine til now, keep getting message saying Copy is not a Genuine Windows Copy!! I sent report to Sony, they have told me to purchase Recovery Disks for this (none came with Laptop)I want to know is there any other way I can resolve this without paying the amount they are looking for!!
Any help please. Or do I just put up with this message each time laptop is turned on. :slight_frown:

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi carlowlass,

I suppose it depends on whether the copy of Windows on the FX501 is a Pirate Copy or not! If it is a Pirate Copy then I would buy the Recovery Discs because you are using an illegal copy and Microsoft MAY stop support and updates. If it is a Sony OEM version and therefore legal, I would phone Microsoft to resolve the problem.

Can you find out if it is the Sony OEM version? I would download and install PC Wizard 2008. Free from here: -

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/PC-Wizard-Release.shtml

When installed, go to 'Configuration' -> 'Operating System' -> 'Serial Number'

Does the Serial Number have "OEM" in the sequence?

You can click on the Serial Number and the Windows Product Key will be displayed. Don't post it here but let me know the first sequence of 5 characters. This will NOT be the same Product Key printed on the bottom of the Vaio.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_IE.title
fiomurph
Visitor

thanks Blencogo, I will try this and get back to you. :heart_eyes: