Join now - be part of our community!

recovery media

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
dr_kamal
Explorer

recovery media

Hi,

I have just purchases L series desktop SVL2413MIEB .I am trying to create a recovery disk on a pen drive.However it reaches halfway and then gets stuck there for many hours.I have tried this a couple of times with no lucK.

have partitioned my hard drive to 2 drives C and E ao am sure if due to that.

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Kamal.

The reason to make Recovery Media is so that you can reinstall the original operating system and software in the event of a hard disc failure.  As long as the HDD is OK, then you can use the hidden recovery area.

If you cannot make Recovery Discs, you can always use Imaging Software to make a full Image of your drive, which can be updated regularly and used to reinstall on any new HDD.

Acronis True Image is the old favorite but cheaper or even free software exists.

:wink:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi dr_kamal and welcome to the Sony User Community.

How did you repartition your hard drive?  You may have corrupted the hidden Recovery Partition or inadverrttently given it a drive letter (it normally has none).

Have you installed any Virtual Drive software?  Things like Daemon Tools conflict with the recovery partition and should be uninstalled.  Always best to create the recovery discs before loading anything.

If all else fails, speak to Vaio Support and see if they will send you a set.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
dr_kamal
Explorer

Thanks for that blencogo.my fault i did not create the recovery drive first thing. I used the disk management on the system to partition the drive, I sharnk C it to about 450 GB and named the rest E.i have not named the hidden partition drives.on doing a check it shows up as healthy partition drive.

am not sure if I am missing something else here,How crucial is it that I have the recovery disc or could i Just use the one on my partition drive in case i need to refersh/reboot my system,(apologies if my question sounds silly- just a bit naive regarding these things)

many thanks

kamal

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Kamal.

The reason to make Recovery Media is so that you can reinstall the original operating system and software in the event of a hard disc failure.  As long as the HDD is OK, then you can use the hidden recovery area.

If you cannot make Recovery Discs, you can always use Imaging Software to make a full Image of your drive, which can be updated regularly and used to reinstall on any new HDD.

Acronis True Image is the old favorite but cheaper or even free software exists.

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
dr_kamal
Explorer

Thanks for the advice blencogo, finally succeeded when i used DVD'S instead of the pen drive, worked just fine

kamal.