Join now - be part of our community!

Reduced performance in games

AliClifton
Visitor

Reduced performance in games

Hi guys,

Up until recently my FS115S has performed well in games. However now, after about 5mins of play my laptop starts to get lots of HDD activity for some reason. This slows my fps right down and can some times cause my whole computer to crash.

I really dont know why this is happening, ive freed up plenty of RAM but it still happens, i tested my RAM with memtest86 just to make sure alls ok (it passed) but still have problem, ive cleaned up my registry but still happens, ive cleaned up my HDD so theres now 17% free but still, Tried defraging and using diskeeper defrag instead but still. I even bought a Audigy zs notebook sound card to free up resources but still.

It seems like ive tried everything but nothing is working.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Ali

5 REPLIES 5
AliClifton
Visitor

Can nobody help me? Rob Paxton i believe talked about increased hard disk activity (which i have) as a symptom of poor performance in games in this thread http://www.club-vaio.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=36272
Rob do you know whats wrong?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi AliClifton,

Have you checked the CPU temperature?

MobileMeter

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
AliClifton
Visitor

I havent checked it but i have had my laptop slightly raised to promote good airflow and i clean out my laptop with compressed air frequently.

il check it anyway just to be sure, in the mean time, any other ideas?

mclaughlinhugh4
Visitor

You could try deleting some stuff on your drive. 17% is not an afull lot and in games, the page file is accesed quite alot and this lack of space could be causing slower reading and writing times. Did you defragment your page file? Dont know if these will work just throwing them out there!

AliClifton
Visitor

Hi mclaughlinhugh4

Thanks for the advice, i was thinking of upgrading my harddrive to a 100gb 7200rpm model, hoping perhaps that this would help with my problem.

Currently ive been using the sysinternals registry & pagefile defrager so i dont think that fragmentated pagefile is the problem.

If you have anymore ideas please post them any help is welcome

Thanks, Ali