Join now - be part of our community!

Removing the keyboard of a VAIO VGN-FZZ21E

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jhwalker
Visitor

Removing the keyboard of a VAIO VGN-FZZ21E

Hey Sony Community,

Wondering if any of you out there know how to remove the keyboard from a VAIO VGN-FZ21E?

I need to remove mine so that I can access the graphics card to install a new, bigger & better AMD model, rather than stick with the standard nVIDIA GeForce 8400M 1GB that I have been using for the past few years!

Hope somebody answers my queries soon,

James Walker

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi James,

Bad news I'm afraid.  The nVidia 8400M Mobile Graphics in a laptop are not an interchangeable card, but a chip soldered into the motherboard.  This means it is not possible to upgrade the graphics as they are part of the motherboard.

If you want to look inside, have a look at this tear-down guide: -

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/take-apart-sony-vaio-vgn-fz220-repair-power-jack/

:wink:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi James,

Bad news I'm afraid.  The nVidia 8400M Mobile Graphics in a laptop are not an interchangeable card, but a chip soldered into the motherboard.  This means it is not possible to upgrade the graphics as they are part of the motherboard.

If you want to look inside, have a look at this tear-down guide: -

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/take-apart-sony-vaio-vgn-fz220-repair-power-jack/

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
jhwalker
Visitor

Hey Blencogno,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question!

I am sorry to hear that I must stick with the bog-standard question, especially as I know that at any time the card could fail, but I guess I will just have to make do!

The information on the website that you linked in your reply looks as though it should be able to help me remove the keyboard to see the motherboard, however! I shall report back here to say if it is useful or not!

Thank's again,

James Walker