Join now - be part of our community!

replace the grpahic card to a better one?!!

daVinci777
Visitor

replace the grpahic card to a better one?!!

Hi people,

i have a Sony Notebook VGN-FS 315H.
It has a Geforce Go 6400, 128mb shared memory graphic card.
I would like to know if it is possible to exchange this one to a better one with more power like for example the Geforce Go 7 series which are already available on the Nvidia website.
Before everyone says: "No! absolutely not possible" read the next line please... :slight_smile:
I read somewhere in the internet that the new PCI Express cards (which i have) are able to be replaced by other cards easily. Is that true? If yes, who can do it?
Is Sony doing this?
Who is already experienced? Maybe somebody did a replacement already???

regards,
Daniel

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

hey

Sony are not, sadly early adopters of new technology, I seem to remember the new fingerprint reader stuff seemed to appear on IBM Thinkpads before Sony started doing it (someone correct me if thats wrong BTW).

Certainly PCI Express is going to make life easier to upgrade, as to when Sony will start installing these in VAIO's my guess is as good as yours lol.:smileygrin:

For now tho, if your PC has shared memory architecture (say you install 768MB of RAM and find you have only 704MB RAM) then the video card has used 64MB of System RAM for its own uses. I believe its called Unified Memory Architecture (Or UMA).

The only way to upgrade UMA computers is to add the maximum amount of System RAM to the PC - for that visit Crucial.

Hope that was some help - its been a LONG day lol