Join now - be part of our community!

Restore recovery partition

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Restore recovery partition

I created two dvd's with the recovery stuff on it with Vaio Recovery Tool. After creating the dvd's I made the parition unallocated (Everything removed) with Norton Partition Magic instead of using Vaio software....now I have a primary partition and I can't move the extra space to my d or c drive.

I want to recover the partition again, and want to know how to do this. I have the FE11S laptop.

thx ahead

26 REPLIES 26
Carelino
Visitor

Beg, borrow or steal a Windows XP installation disk. Boot from it and select the unallocated partition. Format it as NTFS, then remove the disk before it starts to install Windows. As you'll now have a partition with an allocated drive letter, you should be able to merge it to another partition

I tried that, but then it want's to start with that new created partition where there is no windows xp installed.

William
Visitor

Beg, borrow or steal a Windows XP installation disk. Boot from it and select the unallocated partition. Format it as NTFS, then remove the disk before it starts to install Windows. As you'll now have a partition with an allocated drive letter, you should be able to merge it to another partition

I tried that, but then it want's to start with that new created partition where there is no windows xp installed.

Seems like you are stuffed until you do a Full Recovery, must be a case of Vaio way or no way.

Carelino
Visitor

I sure hope not....thats why I am asking here

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Is the old deleted recovery partition an NTFS file system?

If is not and it's FAT32 or something different, I think that may be your problem as you can not integrate a non NTFS partition into a NTFS partition.

Carelino
Visitor

Is the old deleted recovery partition an NTFS file system?

If is not and it's FAT32 or something different, I think that may be your problem as you can not integrate a non NTFS partition into a NTFS partition.

With Partition Magic I can change the partition into NTFS or into FAT32. Right now I have it as an Unallocated partition....I can change everything except changing the primary setting...

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I think you need to change the partition to NTFS, then you should be able to merge into C or D.

However if this does not work it could corrupt your system..so back-up data first :slight_smile:

Carelino
Visitor

Hmmm maybe but ofcourse I dont know if want to lose everything. Guess I could use Norton Ghost to backup everything....

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Good idea to back up, I do think this will work but it's been so long since I've used Partition Magic I'm not 100% sure.:smileyhappy:

Carelino
Visitor

Well it did not work....still no solution...:(

It did not merge anything

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Well it did not work....still no solution...:(

It did not merge anything

Did you format the unknown partition into NTFS:smileyconfused: