Join now - be part of our community!

S5XP - no Windows CD supplied?

bb67
Visitor

S5XP - no Windows CD supplied?

Just got an S5XP and there was no Windows CD included in the package. Is this normal, if yes what's the process if I need to reinstall at some time in the future?

My previous Vaio has had Windows reinstalled from the supplied CD a couple of times over the years.

MTIA

10 REPLIES 10
breakneck
Visitor

hi
I guess s5xp models were originally designed for windows xp pro and you should have your win cd. maybe it changes from region to another. Don't you have a windows serial sticker under the notebook? If u have it than the company shoul have forgotten to give u the cd :slight_smile:

bb67
Visitor

hi 
I guess s5xp models were originally designed for windows xp pro and you should have your win cd. maybe it changes from region to another. Don't you have a windows serial sticker under the notebook? If u have it than the company shoul have forgotten to give u the cd :slight_smile:

Hi, thanks for the reply, the S5XP was bought in UK and has an XP Pro licence sticker on it.

Any one else got an S5XP? Did you get an XP Pro CD?

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

I think your VAIO came with a harddrive recovery.

This could help you.

http://kb.sony-europe.com/KB/Solutions/en/V00000_V00499/V00078.html

William
Visitor

Sony do not supply a standalone copy of XP Pro or Home.

Once upon a time you received Recovery Media in the box but now you are expected to make your own.

There is a hidden partition on your HDD with this on.

RECOVERY

Don't forget to make your own set, preferably two. Fortunately my last Sony purchase came with a disc.

bb67
Visitor

Thanks William / Tony / Seb,

I've not used "recovery" before, I assumed it was just a basic boot system. From the comments it sounds like it's actually enough to do a full clean install? Is it hardware locked? I.e. if I have to replace the harddrive (as with my last Viao) will it install XP Pro on that? and give me the full space of a bigger HD.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

It is nstalled on your hidden partition which yu can access with yur recovery wizard or tapping F8 on restart. Make a couple of DVD copies of it using acronis True image or just the back up in XP Pro:smileywink: Beleive me it is worth it in case you accidently reformat C drive

William
Visitor

Thanks William / Tony / Seb,

I've not used "recovery" before, I assumed it was just a basic boot system. From the comments it sounds like it's actually enough to do a full clean install? Is it hardware locked? I.e. if I have to replace the harddrive (as with my last Viao) will it install XP Pro on that? and give me the full space of a bigger HD.

Once you have created your own Recovery Disc(s) replacing the HDD is totally feasible.

bb67
Visitor

Once you have created your own Recovery Disc(s) replacing the HDD is totally feasible.

Thanks to all, I feel a little more comfy now, cheers, bb

benoutram
Visitor

If its the same as my S3XP then you can't choose what gets installed and what doesn't. It just goes back to the state it was in when you bought it and you have to uninstall any software that you don't want. :cry:

My S3XP notebook has the same speed processor and same amount of RAM as a friends Dell laptop yet his seems to run about 20% faster. :cry: