Join now - be part of our community!

Setting up Wireless Link

AlphaBC
Visitor

Setting up Wireless Link

I have just changed over my laptop from an HP Pavilion to a Sony VAIO VGN-SZ1XP/C (a superb machine by the way). I have a home network with a Dell PC connected by Ethernet to Broadband through a Belkin802.11G 2.4GHz wireless router. I previously had the HP laptop connected wirelessly but am finding it impossible to set a wireless link between the Sony and the Router. I can link between the Sony and the Router by Ethernet OK and get full broadband access.

I have tried every setting imaginable. I am running WinXP Prof. The Laptop has an Intel Pro/Wireless 802.11a/b/g capability.

I have tried changing the SSID; tried switching the firewall on and off; tried with and without WEP; have checked the network keys are correctly aligned in both the router and the wireless properties on the laptop and have the properties set to Open authentication. Nothing, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas please?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi AlphaBC and welcome to the forum.

You seem to have covered most troubleshooting options but there is one thing that you have not mentioned. Please forgive me if I am asking the obvious, but have you turned on the wireless switch and then double clicked the LAN icon in the system tray and selected “Enable 2.4 GHz Wireless LAN”.

You then need to open Network Connections and double click Wireless Network Connection > select the network and enter the key.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
AlphaBC
Visitor

Rich, Thanks for the post and no need to apologise for asking the questions. I have done both these checks. Anything else I could try do you think. I've switched off all Virus Checkers etc but still no joy.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I am grasping at straws now, but have you checked that the Wireless Zero service is set to automatic and started? (Start > Run > services.msc)

Btw is there any wireless network showing as available to connect to?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
AlphaBC
Visitor

Have checked these and Wireless Zero is set to auto and started. It shows a Dependency of NDIS Usermode but I can't find that as a service.
The wireless network shows up as there and when I connect it asks for the network key, which it accepts and then just hunts for a connection before saying it can't connect.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

NDIS is ‘Network Driver Interface Specification’ driver for LAN connectivity and as you can connect via LAN I doubt that is your problem.

I am uncertain as to whether this extract from a MS KB article will be of help but worth a read…

“If you are unable to connect to an existing wireless network and the name of the network that you want to connect to appears under the Preferred networks list, click the preferred network name, and then click Properties. In Wireless Network Properties, review the settings to ensure that they are correct.”

Full article HERE.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I'm sure you have already checked this but has your Vaio been allocated an IP address within the network range?

Start>>Run>> 'cmd'>>ipconfig

Have you allocated a manual IP or are you using the router as a DHCP server? If the latter, is DHCP enabled on the Vaio?

Also, some routers have a Wireless Access Control enabled which needs you to enter the MAC address of the Vaio manually.

We are clutching at straws I'm afraid!!!

:thinking: