Join now - be part of our community!

slow laptop

AManCalledSun
Visitor

slow laptop

hey

for the last few months my laptop has been acting slow. things work fine when i first turn my computer on, but after about an hour or so programs start acting slower like the internet, paintshop etc .

at first i thought it was a virus/spyware etc and downloaded a few programs but they found nothin, i also disabled programs from startin up when i turn the laptop on but this hasnt helped 😞

my laptop is the pcg-k315s

any help would be great as im ready to throw this thing against a brick wall
cheers

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There is the possibility that a program or service is corrupted and taking up CPU usage. To check this out open Device Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) and on the Processes tab click the CPU field twice, so that the highest CPU usage is listed first. Ignore System Idle Process, but then see what is using CPU by more than a few %.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
AManCalledSun
Visitor

hey thanx for the reply

theres no programs running over 1% but there are few running at this %, even when i have no programs open apart from taskmanager. stuff like explorer.exe, lsass.exe, apoint.exe, apntex.exe

any ideas?

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Is your laptop overheating at all?

Is your hard drive memory nearly full?

AManCalledSun
Visitor

Is your laptop overheating at all?

i dont think so, seams as normal as it ever was

Is your hard drive memory nearly full?

how do you find this out?

i did do a test on my computer using pcpitstop.com recently, dont know if this site is correct, but this is what it said

Memory performance of this system 3656 megabytes per second, is significantly lower than average. Systems with the same processor and amount of memory typically perform at a level of 6080 MB/s.

and:

The processor performance of this system, 3143 MIPS (millions of integer operations per second), is significantly lower than similar systems with the same type of processor running at the same clock rate, which perform at 4560 MIPS, on average.

could these be the source of my problem?

stevep-4
Visitor

Have you checked whether you have an power profile running under AC / plugged in settings?

IF you laptop has a "mobile" processor, you can set power profiles to help with extending battery life.

Possibly your settings have the CPU running "battery life" instead of PERFORMANCE.

Worth a look

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

dont think so, seams as normal as it ever was

Download MobileMeter and check out your CPU temperature.

how do you find this out?

Right click the drive and select properties, this will show total, used and available space.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
AManCalledSun
Visitor

hey

i downloaded the program, and my temprature is 75.0c

my drive is:

18.6 GB capacity
8.96 GB used space
9.65 GB free space

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

i downloaded the program, and my temprature is 75.0c

That is far too high for your model (possibly by 20 deg), unless you are using CPU intensive programs. If this is the temperature reported at boot then no doubt it will rise to 80+ after a period of intense use and passive cooling will kick in, reducing the CPU speed in an attempt to lower the temperature.

If this is the case then your cooling vents require a clean.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
AManCalledSun
Visitor

that was the temp after about an hour of having my laptop on. at boot the temp is 60c.

if that makes any difference.