Join now - be part of our community!

Slow Performance on FE21H

PainKiller
Visitor

Slow Performance on FE21H

Hi, my girlfriend has her new FE21H a few days ago but it really annoying that the performance is very slow when shuting down the computer. It takes 5 minutes or more to shut it down, however the starting phase work very fast. I had disable all the unecessary startup programs via msconfig; the unecessary software was removed also (I had experience with preinstall software on Sony) Does anyone has ideal about this? Thx

P/S: I don't know if i'm wrong or not but in FE21H has preinstall Norton Internet Security full version (i means not trial or buy version). But, in my girlfriend's laptop it shows that Norton Internet Security will expire in 90 days. I don't know what does Sony play with Symantec?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

This could be many things!!

Norton can cause this problem - many people on these forums have moved away from Norton for this reason. To check if Norton is the culprit, close it down manually before shutting down and see if this makes a big difference.

Other things can help - in Internet Options>>Advanced scroll down to Security and make sure the box is checked for 'Empty Temporary Internet Files Folder on closing Browser'

Download the free trial version of TUNE UP UTILITIES and give your hard disc and your Registry a good clean out and Defrag. As you have uninstalled a lot of software, there will be all sorts of rubbish left behind in your Registry which may interfere with the performance and shut down speed.

Oh - and Yes, the Norton Installed is the Full 90 Day version! 90 days would be far too long for me - it consumes far too much of the system's resources!!!!

:wink:

Summicron
Visitor

...Norton can cause this problem - many people on these forums have moved away from Norton for this reason....
...it consumes far too much of the system's resources!!!!

:wink:

Fine, I agree, but what about protection of the computer then?
Is there any other program that can protect me from viruses etc without slowing down my computer?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Summicron and welcome to Club Vaio.

Many forum users have changed to ZoneAlarm Firewall (which is probably the best available). It is also free to download from Zone Labs.

AVG Antivirus also has a free edition which is excellent and always comes out better than Norton in all the reviews I have seen. The best revieved AntiVirus seems to be Kaspersky Antivirus 2006 - cost about 40€. See this KASPERSKY REVIEW

If you want a full Internet Security Suite which covers everything, ZoneAlarm ISS 6.1 is recommended (I use this myself) - cost about 45€.

:slight_smile:

PainKiller
Visitor

Hi, thx for reply. The trouble seem not belong to the Norton, because when I tried to terminate some user's processes in Window Task Manager the processes were still standing in the list. There is no way for me to end that process, and it's also seem that when the PC is shuted down these processes take much time to terminate.
Today, I tried to remove the NIS but the computer showed a message that can not remove NIS and ask me to install NIS again. Do you have any free program that help to remove program files from PC?

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Also defragment over and over till it defragments in 30 seconds this means the latency or lossy is minimal and then you can defragement once a week as this is quite wearing on the hard drive